Some new Amazon shipping changes just quietly took effect this week…
Did you see that Amazon has lifted the Free Shipping threshold to $49 now, instead of $35? Without any big announcements or fanfare, the total you need to reach to get that coveted free shipping just jumped $14. Unless you’re getting books, in which case the threshold actually dropped to $25.
That’s a bummer if you’re not a member of Amazon Prime – because it means your orders have to be larger and more pricey to get that awesome free shipping. So… maybe it’s time to look at how much you use Amazon, and if a Prime Membership might be worthwhile after all.
Consider the benefits of Prime:
- Free 2-Day Shipping on tons of products
- Special Pricing on select items (we’re seeing more and more of these Prime-Member-Only price drops)
- Free Unlimited Ad-Free Music Streaming with Prime Music
- Free Unlimited Movies and TV Shows with Prime Video *I just found out that 8 SEASONS of Dr. Who is going to be on Amazon Streaming!!
- Free Unlimited Photo Storage in Amazon’s Cloud Drive
- Free eBooks (over 800,000) in the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library
You’ll also get early heads-up on lightning deals, which really comes in handy around Black Friday and Christmas time.
Amazon Prime costs $99 a year – but even with all the benefits above you might be asking yourself “is it worth it?” I’m normally a very frugal person and balked at paying for Amazon Prime at first – but realized that for our family it’s totally worthwhile. We use every aspect of the service except the photo storage.
Thankfully, you can try it out Free for 30 Days to see how much you use the services, and if $99 a year is worth it to you.