I’ve seen lots of recipes for meatballs online, but they all contain almond flour. Since my daughter is allergic to almond flour, I don’t use it in recipes that the entire family will be eating. Instead, I use coconut flour so that it is safe for her to eat as well. As a mom of four, I don’t have time to cook more than one meal at dinner. Personally, I think meatballs are so much better after simmering in a slow cooker all day. They seem to get much more tender and flavorful.Plus, anytime I have dinner taken care of early in the day I count it a win! It seems that the entire rest of my day goes so much smoother. You can serve these BBQ Mozzarella Meatballs over zoodles or with your favorite vegetable and a garden salad. It’s such a simple keto friendly/low carb meal that the entire family can enjoy.
- 1¼lb Ground Beef 80/20
- ½ grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp minced onion
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup sugar-free BBQ sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Combine all ingredients except the last three ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium on the stove.
- Cover the bottom of the skillet with ¼ inch coconut oil.
- When the oil gets hot, scoop meatballs with a cookie scoop into hot oil and brown.
- Once the meatballs are browned, place in the bottom of a crock pot.
- Pour sugar-free bbq sauce and beef broth on top on meatballs.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5.
- Thirty minutes before serving, stir and top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Replace the top and allow to cook the last 30 minutes on low so that the cheese will melt.
Nutritional Info based on MyFitnessPal app (6 servings) – 360 Calories, Fat 26.6g, Protein 24.9g, Carbs 3.4g – 0.9g Fiber = 2.5g Net Carbs
*I made 24 meatballs and divided each serving into 4 meatballs each.