I saw a recipe video last week online for Chicken Lombardy that looked absolutely amazing. Although it wasn’t keto friendly, I knew with a couple of tweaks it could be a fabulous keto dish. I’m actually surprised that it got my attention because I hate mushrooms. In fact, when I was a little girl I remember crying one time when my mom was cooking mushrooms because I thought she was cooking ears. Lol! Even though I don’t like actual mushrooms, I do like mushroom flavored gravy and mushroom flavored sauce. However, you can bet your bottom dollar I will pick out every stinking mushroom before taking one bite. (I might be a tad bit picky.) Everyone in my family feels the same about mushrooms so you can imagine their surprise when I came home from the grocery store with them. Surprisingly, at dinner, my hubby and son loved the mushrooms in this dish. My oldest daughter and I still picked ours out, but it didn’t take away from how delish it made the chicken. It’s definitely one of our favorite keto/low carb meals so far. I served the Keto/Low Carb Chicken Lombardy with a garden salad for a simple dinner.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, thin cut (could also use tenderloins)
- ½ small onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter + 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease a 9X13 casserole dish.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and saute the mushrooms, garlic, and onions on medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes until onions are translucent and mushrooms are tender.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the same cast iron skillet and sear chicken breasts or tenderloins 3-4 minutes on each side so that they are nicely browned.
- As each piece is browned, remove from skillet and place in the casserole dish leaving all of the drippings in the skillet.
- Once all the chicken has been browned, add mushroom mixture back to skillet along with chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and salt/pepper.
- Cook on medium-high heat scraping the bottom of the skillet while stirring
continouslyfor 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp xanthan gum on top and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Once it has thickened spoon over chicken in the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over chicken first, then top with mozzarella.
- Top with 1 tsp Italian seasoning.
- Bake in a 450 oven for 12-14 minutes.
- To brown mozzarella, move casserole dish to top rack and turn oven to broil for 1-2 minutes.
Nutritional Information per MyFitnessPal app based on 6 servings – 327 calories, 14.8g fat, 34.4g protein, 3.5g carbs – 1.4g fiber = 2.1 net carbs per serving