Since starting to follow a Ketogenic Diet in May, I haven’t cheated one time and honestly don’t intend to anytime soon. I’m feeling great, losing inches, and sleeping so good so why would I? However, there are times when I get a hankering for chocolate. I’ve tried several different mug cakes, but they were all dry and spongy. Since my hubby and I both wanted something sweet the other night, I decided it was time to experiment. To be honest; it is impossible to create a keto/low carb cake that tastes exactly like a sugary, chocolatey cake made with regular flour. Here are the facts: cauliflower doesn’t taste like potatoes nor does coconut or almond flour bake the same as regular flour. They are great alternatives, but not the same. With that being true, after several tries, I have created a recipe that yields a chocolate cake that is moist, fluffy, and delicious while being low carb and keto friendly. You can cook this Skillet Chocolate Cake in the microwave in a glass dish, but I think it tastes much better when mixed properly and baked in the oven. I used a 6″ cast iron skillet and divided the chocolate cake into 8 servings. With Keto, I’m satisfied with much smaller servings.
Serves: 8 servings
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a cast iron skillet and place in a
350 degreeoven while mixing the rest of the ingredients together. (Does not have to be preheated.)
- Combine coconut oil, 1 tablespoon of the butter, and cream cheese. Either melt on the stove or microwave.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Whisk until combined.
- Add eggs, coconut milk, sweetener, and vanilla to the coconut oil, butter, and cream cheese mixture.
- Beat on low/medium for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and baking powder mixture to other ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Remove cast iron skillet from oven and swirl butter around so that it greases the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Pour batter
inskillet and bake for 15-17 minutes. Insert knifein the middle of caketo test doneness. Do not overbake.
- Serve with homemade whipped topping and shaved unsweetened chocolate.
Nutritional Information from MyFitnessPal app based on 8 servings – Calories 167, Fat 15 grams, Carbs 5.3 – Fiber 2.4 = 2.9 net carbs, protein 2.9
**This nutritional information is based on using both Swerve and Stevia and subtracting sugar alcohols.