Homemade Fried Okra Southern Style
- 1-2 cups fresh okra
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour (I used self rising b/c I was out of all purpose)
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¼ tsp salt & pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Pour ½ inch oil in skillet, on medium high heat.
- Wash okra thoroughly, pat dry.
- Slice the okra into equal cylinder shaped pieces, if it is too tough to cut, throw it away.
- In a bowl crack one egg, whip with a fork then add one cup of buttermilk (you can use milk if you don’t have buttermilk – I did).
- Stir well to mix, then add okra.
- On a separate plate add 1 cup of flour, ¼ cup cornmeal, ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper. Stir carefully with a fork to make sure that the flour and cornmeal are thoroughly mixed up.
- Use a fork or slotted spoon and move the okra to the flour/cornmeal mixture making sure to drain excess liquid.
- Soak for a minimum of 5 minutes or place in fridge and soak up to one hour.
- Using your fork, shovel the flour/cornmeal mixture on top of the okra. Continue, until all of the okra is dredged in flour.
- Test to make sure your oil is hot by dropping a pinch of flour into the pan.
- If it immediately sizzles you are good to go.
- If it floats to the bottom and sits there all sad, wait a couple of minutes and try again.
- When the oil is hot, carefully place each piece of okra in skillet to prevent okra from cooking in clumps.
- When you start to see the the okra brown around the sides like in the picture above, flip over.
- When both sides are golden brown, remove with slotted spoon and drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Lightly salt while it is still very hot.
- Enjoy! Sooooo yummy!
Recipe by Kasey Trenum at http://kaseytrenum.com/homemade-fried-okra-southern-style/