My family loves all things pumpkin! I’m always looking for healthy breakfast recipes to try out, I thought pumpkin and oatmeal would make the perfect combination. You could even make pumpkin oatmeal in a slow cooker and wake up to yummy homemade goodness in the morning. I decided to make it this morning, so I’ll have to try using my slow cooker next time.
I’ve included my recipe below. Most of the recipes I found online included butter, milk, and brown sugar. I really wanted a healthier version for my family. You could always add brown sugar as a topping if it isn’t sweet enough for your taste. If you love pumpkin, make sure to check out our homemade whole wheat pumpkin bread recipe.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oatmeal
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup honey
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- Bring water to a boil, and add other ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve, you can add raisins, nuts, and brown sugar or sugar substitute to taste.