I saw one of those recipe videos on Facebook one day last week for Italian Meatballs and I’ve been craving them ever since. Since I had made BBQ meatballs before, I knew it would be easy to make a couple of changes to the recipe to make keto/low carb Italian Meatballs. Since we were spending the day at home, I prepared the meatballs earlier in the day, fried them in oil on the stove to sear in the juices, then popped them in my crock pot with a jar of spaghetti sauce to simmer the rest of the day. Usually, Italian Meatballs are served over noodles, but instead of making a noodle substitute tonight, we just ate them right out of the casserole dish with a side of buttery broccoli. Having been following this way of eating now since May, I don’t even miss the noodles. Crazy huh? I have found it to be true that many of the cravings stop after your body becomes fat adapted. If you’d like to eat with a keto/low carb noodle substitute you could serve it over spaghetti squash (how to roast a spaghetti squash here) or with zucchini zoodles.
Here’s a little tip if you like to save as much time when cooking, don’t even worry about rolling out the meatballs. Just get a big cookie scoop or ice cream scoop and pack the meatball tightly against the side of the bowl before dropping it into the oil to fry. I can’t stand touching raw meat, so this is my lazy girl solution. Also, if you wanted you could skip the last step of browning the cheese in the oven by adding the cheese in the crock pot and allowing it to melt. Personally, I think cooking the meatballs in a casserole dish in the oven is worth it. There is just something about the cheese being all browned that makes it taste so much better.
Serves: 6 servings
- 1¼ lb Ground Beef 80/20
- ½ grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 eggs
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp minced onion
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 24 oz jar low carb spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil to sprinkle on top of cheeses
- Combine all ingredients except the last three ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium on the stove.
- Cover the bottom of the skillet with ¼ inch coconut oil.
- When the oil gets hot, scoop meatballs with a cookie scoop into hot oil and brown.
- Once the meatballs are browned, place in the bottom of a
- Pour spaghetti sauce on top of the meatballs.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5.
- Scoop out meatballs into a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese then basil on top.
- Broil in the oven on the top rack for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown.
Nutritional Information per MyFitnessPal app based on 6 servings – 485 calories, 34g fat, 36.9g protein, 5.6g carbs – 1.9g fiber = 3.7g net carbs