Years ago after I had an appendectomy, a sweet friend of mine brought homemade potato soup to my house for dinner while I was recovering. She was so kind to share the recipe, which included swiss cheese as a secret ingredient. Since then, I’ve been adding a little swiss cheese to potato and broccoli soup. It’s a subtle flavor, but I think it adds so much. Homemade Broccoli & Cheese Soup is one of my favorites, but when researching the nutritional information, most recipes I found were too high in carbs for my keto lifestyle. Upon further research, I found several recipes on Pinterest that were much more Keto friendly, so I started experimenting. I usually add an ingredient from one recipe, take away an ingredient from another recipe then tweak other ingredients to make a recipe of my own. I think this recipe for Keto Broccoli & Cheese Soup turned out really good, and it was easy to whip up at lunch today.
Serves: 8 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz frozen broccoli florets (or 4 cups fresh)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp parsley
- ½ tsp pink salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 pieces of bacon, crumbled
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Melt butter in a saucepan and saute diced onions and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, frozen broccoli, spices, and salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium for 5 minutes, then reduce and cook on low until broccoli is tender (approx 10 minutes).
- Turn stove off and remove from heat.
- Add cheddar cheese 1 cup at a time and stir. (the packaged grated cheese works best)
- Add Swiss cheese and stir until combined.
- Serve each bowl with shredded cheese and bacon on top.
Nutritional Information Based on MyFitnessPal App: (8 servings) Calories 460, Fat 36.2 grams, Protein 21.6 grams, carbs 4.9 grams – 1.8 fiber = 3.1 net carbs