How to Make Muddy Buddies (Aka Puppy Chow)
Jamie here! If you’re looking for a great party snack, or easy gift for the kids that the kids can help create – Muddy Buddies are perfect!
Muddy Buddies, in case the title didn’t give it away, are also known as Puppy Chow. Now personally, I’d never heard that one until I was 30 – but some people I know have never heard Muddy Buddies either… go figure! They’re the easiest snack in the whole world to make – all you need is a box of C hex, a bag of chocolate chips, peanut butter and powdered sugar.
You can’t really mess this up – so the kids can help every step of the way 🙂
Just measure out 9 cups of Chex into a bowl (any kind will do – I like Rice best) and then head to the microwave with a bowl containing 1 Cup chocolate chips, 1/2 Cup peanut butter, and 1/4 Cup butter. My trick to remembering these amounts so that I never have to look it up is super easy – I just keep in mind that the ingredients are half of each other (1 Cup, 1/2 Cup, 1/4 Cup)
Microwave for 1 minute and stir until it’s smooth – if it needs a little bit longer, that’s fine too (Just 10 seconds at a time so you don’t end up with hard, dry chocolate).
Next, stir in 1 tsp of Vanilla and pour over the bowl of Chex cereal, mixing gently until completely incorporated. (Let no Chex be left uncovered!)
Before it has a chance to cool – place into a big ziploc bag containing 1 1/2 Cups of Powdered sugar – seal and shake.
These would be great gifts to hand out at parties as take-home favors, or on Valentines Day, using the tagline “I’m glad we’re buddies” 😉
- 9 Cups Chex (Any variety)
- 1 Cup Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Peanut Butter
- ¼ Cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1½ Cups Powdered Sugar
- Measure out 9 cups of Chex into a bowl (any kind will do - I like Rice best)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.
- Stir until smooth (Microwave for 10 more seconds if needed)
- Next, stir in 1 tsp of Vanilla and pour over the bowl of Chex cereal, mixing gently until completely incorporated.
- Before it has a chance to cool - place into a big ziploc bag containing 1½ Cups of Powdered sugar - seal and shake.