My husband loves sausage balls, but the ones I normally make are full of carbs. So, as a special keto surprise, I’ve been working on creating the perfect Sausage Ball Recipe. Most of the ones I’ve tried have been extremely dry, like give me a gallon of water right now before I can take another bite dry. So, I started experimenting from scratch to see if I could create a recipe that was both moist and flavorful. My first try, in my opinion, was a total thumbs down. Then, I remembered my delicious keto biscuit recipe and how amazing it tastes. I thought I might be able to tweak that recipe to make sausage balls that would knock my husband’s socks off. Since you can’t really roll the dough into actual balls because of the moisture content, I decided to call these Sausage Ball Puffs. In actuality, they are much easier to make because you don’t have to spend time rolling. A cookie scoop is much faster and works just as well.
**I’ve gotten several questions about substituting almond flour for coconut flour. We have tree nut allergies in our family, so I don’t personally cook with almond flour. Therefore, I haven’t tried using almond flour in any of my recipes. I do know it is not a 1:1 substitution as coconut flour is more absorbent than almond flour.
- 1 lb sausage, browned and drained (can use mild or hot)
- 4½ tablespoons of butter, melted and cooled
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons full fat sour cream
- 4 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sharp shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- Combine melted butter (I cool mine by popping the bowl in the fridge for 5 min), eggs, salt, and sour cream then whisk together.
- Add coconut flour and baking powder to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Add drained browned sausage.
- Stir in cheese.
- Drop batter by tightly packed spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet. I made 36.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until tops are slightly brown.
Nutritional Information based on MyFitnessPal App (36 servings): 78 calories, 6.4 grams of fat, 4.2 grams of protein, 0.8 carbs – 0.4 grams of fiber = 0.4 grams of net carbs
Check out my Keto Recipe Index for more Ketogenic recipes.