Spaghetti Squash is my favorite new vegetable. It’s so versatile and healthy. I especially love how I can substitute spaghetti squash for noodles to create a healthier Italian dinner for my family. After making spaghetti sauce with spaghetti squash I thought I’d go a step further and make spaghetti squash lasagna. It was really easy to make and so yummy! It made enough for left overs that I had for lunch all week. I’ve included pictures below with each step and the complete recipe at the bottom of this post.
After roasting the spaghetti squash, loosen the squash inside the shell. If this is your first time cooking spaghetti squash, check out my step-by-step tutorial on how to roast spaghetti squash with pictures first.
Add ricotta cheese mixture.
Spoon spaghetti sauce on top.
Finish with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 jar organic spaghetti sauce
- 1 can basil and garlic diced tomatoes
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 8oz Ricotta Cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1½ cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, chopped
- Brown ground turkey or lean ground beef with the chopped onion and garlic cloves, then drain well.
- Add spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes to the meat mixture and simmer until sauce thickens.
- Pierce spaghetti squash with knife and cook for 5 min in microwave.
- Cut in half and dig out seeds then brush the insides with a light coat of olive oil and salt/pepper. Place facing down on a baking sheet and bake approx 30-45 min in a 400 degree oven until tender. Cooking times will vary depending on the size of spaghetti squash.
- Remove from the oven when done and allow to cool for 5 min.
- With a fork, scrap inside the spaghetti squash leaving squash inside the shell to make a "boat."
- Combine 8oz of Ricotta cheese, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, egg, and Italian seasoning.
- Spoon the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the loosened spaghetti squash.
- Add spaghetti sauce
- Top with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese then sprinkle a little Italian seasoning on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.