Photo Credit: stetted
Raised beds and containers are ideal for those gardening in small spaces. But knowing what to plant in them is a whole new story! Vegetables can be grown in raised beds and containers and below, and so you will find some helpful tips on which vegetables you should grow in raised beds and containers.
Here are some tips to get you started and help you plan your raised beds or container gardens a little bit easier. You might be surprised at how easy it is to pick plants that will thrive.
So which vegetables should you grow in raised beds and containers?
- Avoid tall vegetable plants like climbers which need support. The soil will not support the weight.
- Try potatoes! Potatoes will grow in raised beds so consider planting potatoes in large pots as well.
- Opt for root veggies! Root vegetables like parsnips and turnips are perfect for raised beds. Make sure the bed is deep enough so that the roots have plenty of room.
- French beans can be fun! There are no special requirements, just fertilize well.
- Lettuce does well also. Do not over water!
- Peppers are a great option!
- Onions thrive in raised beds. You don’t need to fuss much over them and they don’t require a lot of food or water.
- Radishes are rad. They require no specific feeding requirements, and tolerate quite a bit!
So what is it going to be? Radishes? Onions? French beans? All of the above? Pick one or pick all as these plants are sure to grow for you in your raised beds and containers! So happy planning and happy planting!