If you want a great meal that the kids will love, look no further than our Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas! These are so easy to make and delicious — a perfect addition to your keto meal plan.
Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas
We love chicken fajitas. Since we started following a keto lifestyle, whenever we eat out at a Mexican Restaurant, my hubby and I order fajitas and eat them over a bed of lettuce. It’s been such an easy transition for us not to eat the tortillas.
Recently, when planning dinner, I decided to make baked chicken fajitas for an easy meal. As I was making my grocery list, I thought about how much we love the queso dip at our local Mexican Restaurant. So, I decided to create a keto queso recipe to enjoy with these low carb baked fajitas. Although there are many different ways you can enjoy homemade keto queso, we poured it over chicken fajitas on a bed of lettuce! It was delicious! I felt like we were eating at our favorite Mexican Restaurant.
How to Make Homemade Keto Fajita Seasoning?
You could use a packaged taco or fajita seasoning, but I love this homemade keto-friendly fajita seasoning. Packaged seasoning mixes contain additives that many avoid while following a keto. Plus, you can whip up this low carb fajita seasoning in just a few minutes with spices you likely already have at home.
- Olive Oil
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Cloves
Pro Tip: For an even bolder flavor, mix the fajita seasoning with olive oil for a delicious chicken fajitas marinade.
I use a variety of bell peppers to add color, and different tastes in this low carb baked fajitas recipe. I tend to slice mine a little thinner because I prefer bell peppers cooked until tender.
First, add the chicken, veggies, and seasoning into a large bowl. With a pair of tongs, combine all the ingredients until coated with the low carb fajita seasoning mixture. You could also mix all of the spices in a small bowl with olive oil and then pour it on top of the chicken and veggies. I find that mixing everything in a bowl first spreads the spices more evenly.
What Kind of Chicken Do I Use for Baked Chicken Fajitas?
I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could use thighs instead or even completely change it up and substitute skirt steak for chicken.
I used to bake the Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas in a baking dish, but have found that they bake more evenly on a cookie sheet.
Tip: You can also use a cast-iron skillet to make this low carb baked fajitas recipe or throw everything on the grill in an oven-safe grill pan. Grilled chicken has a unique flavor that makes chicken fajitas extra tasty.
If you want to turn up your Low Carb Baked Chicken Fajitas a notch, make this homemade Keto Queso. We often serve these sheet pan fajitas on a bed of lettuce with keto queso poured right on top. You could also use lettuce wraps or low carb tortillas instead. Either way, the queso adds so much flavor to fajitas.
Garnishes for Low Carb Chicken Fajitas:
In less than 30 minutes of baking time, and dinner was on the table. We served our Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas on a bed of lettuce and garnished it with fresh tomatoes and jalapenos. Then, as I mentioned, we poured a little keto-friendly best queso on top. These low carb and keto fajitas taste fantastic leftover as well.
Many different keto-friendly garnishes that pair wonderfully with keto chicken fajitas. I’ve listed several below for inspiration.
- Sour Cream
- Sliced avocados
- cherry tomatoes
- diced onions
- freshly grated cheese
- pico de gallo
- fresh lime juice
What Sides to Serve with Chicken Fajitas?
I often serve them as is but if you’d like a little something more riced cauliflower would make an excellent keto side dish.
How to Store Baked Chicken Fajitas?
This recipe makes a generous amount of low carb baked chicken fajitas. I store it in an airtight container in the fridge for four days or in the freezer in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
What are More Keto Options for Mexican Food?
- Cheesy Mexican Chicken Skillet
- Low Carb Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Fajita Soup
- Keto Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Watch this video for how to make Keto Chicken Baked Fajitas:
Keto Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 3/4 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 tsp garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice chicken and veggies into strips.
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil and spices. Mix well.
- Add the chicken and veggies to the seasoning mixture and stir until coated.
- Pour the fajita mixture onto a greased sheet pan and spread out into a single layer. Depending on the size of your sheet pan, you may need to divide into two sheet pans. It will look like a ton of veggies, but they will shrink as they cook.
- Bake for 11 minutes and stir then return to the oven and bake 11 additional minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Due to the size of my baking pans and my oven, I placed one of the sheet pans on the bottom rack and the other on the middle rack. Halfway through cooking I switched them.Make sure to check the temperature of the chicken for doneness as all ovens cook differently. It should read 165 in the thickest piece of the chicken.If you'd like to brown your chicken fajitas, turn the oven to broil and bake for just a minute or two. Make sure to watch closely as it can burn very quickly when using the broiler.
- Remove from oven and top with lime juice and chopped cilantro.
- Serve on a bed of mixed leafy greens and top with homemade Keto Queso Dip and your favorite keto-friendly condiments such as sour cream, guacamole, sliced avocado, jalapenos, and a few tomatoes.
More Keto Recipes
Make sure to check out all of my Keto Recipes in my Keto Recipe Index. As a mom of four, I’m always trying to easy family-friendly meals. There are tons of great ideas for meals that everyone will love. Below are some of our family favorites!