Kasey here, my kids and I made this mouth watering Mississippi Mud Cake today for my husband for Father’s Day. It’s completely from scratch, but so easy to make. In fact, my 7 and 10 year old could almost make it by themselves, with a little help from mom of course. It’s a perfect last minute dessert for your favorite chocolate lover. We decided to eat a little piece tonight since my hubby came in from working in the yard and saw what we were cooking. I think it was the first time my kids had ever had Mississippi Mud Cake before, they said it was the best cake ever and that the frosting tasted like fudge!
Best Ever Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
For the Cake:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 9 TBS cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- dash salt
- Standard bag mini marsmallows
- 1 cup nuts optional
For the Frosting :
- 1 stick butter
- 7 TBS cocoa
- 1/8 - 1/4 cup milk
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup nuts optional
For the Cake:
- Combine melted butter, cocoa, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large mixing bowl.
- Using mixer on low/medium mix thoroughly.
- Stir in flour, salt, and nuts then pour in greased 9X13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, pour small pkg of marshmallows over top of cake.
- Cover with aluminum foil for 7 min, then frost.
For the Frosting:
- Melt 1 stick butter in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Add cocoa, milk and confectioners sugar.
- Stir until sugar melts and frosting is smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in nuts and vanilla.