While I attended a blogging conference in Dallas earlier this year I had the absolute best soup at one of the restaurants in the hotel. It was chicken broth based with tons of fresh veggies like zucchini, squash, onions, and carrots. I was determined to figure out how to recreate this recipe once I got home and add to my list of low carb meal ideas. After some trial and error, Bountiful Chicken and Veggie Harvest Soup was a success! Since the first time I made it a couple of months ago, it’s become a regular addition to our dinner menu. Especially now that it’s gotten colder, a good hearty soup just feels cozy. An added bonus, Bountiful Chicken and Veggie Harvest Soup is super healthy!
This recipe is also AdvoCare 24-Day Challenge friendly.
First, you want to make a good homemade chicken broth. I like to use a whole chicken, as it renders a much more flavorful broth.
For incredible flavor, saute the chopped veggies with seasoning in olive oil for a few minutes before adding chicken broth. I’ve included the step by step recipe below.
Low Carb Meal Ideas: Bountiful Chicken & Veggie Harvest Soup
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 squash chopped
- 3 zucchini chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn or a can of whole kernel can drained optional
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilis optional
- 1 medium onion
- 32 oz carton of chicken stock I use organic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 3/4 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- First, make broth my placing whole chicken in the slow cooker. Cover with water, add salt and pepper. Cook for 8 hours on low.
- Approx 1 hour and a half before serving, saute vegetables and spices in one tablespoon olive oil in a large pot on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir occassionaly to avoid sticking.
- Allow chicken to cool, take off bone.
- Strain homemade broth from slow cooker.
- Add strained broth, canned tomatoes, and shredded chicken to pot. (I prefer to use only the white meat)
- Simmer for an hour on low heat, covered.
- Salt and pepper to taste.