My husband’s favorite dessert is anything chocolate. Although we are committed to a healthy eating lifestyle, we do splurge on holidays. This year for Father’s Day I made my husband a Chocolate Mound Cake, and he said it was the best cake I’ve ever made. I usually like to prepare our food from scratch, but I took the easy way out and used a cake mix. Even though my morning sickness is getting better, it still hits every day, so this momma needed an easy solution. This Chocolate Mound Cake got such rave reviews from my husband and kids I thought I’d share with you.
Chocolate Mound Cake
- Devils Food Cake or Fudge Cake Mix
- 5 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 box confectioners sugar
- 7 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions in a 9 X 13 pan.
To make the Coconut Filing
- During last 5 minutes of baking combine coconut, confectioners sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla in a bowl and stir well.
- When cake is done, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Poke holes in cake with a fork.
- Spoon coconut mixture over cake. The juice will seep into cake.
To make the Chocolate Frosting
- Melt butter in small sauce pan on med/low.
- Add cocoa, confectioners sugar, and milk.
- Stir well until sugar melts and all ingredients are combined. I use a small whisk.
- Once mixture reaches the constancy of hot fudge, remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour over cake and allow to cool.
- Cake tastes best after being refrigerated overnight.