I was never a fan of Broccoli Cheese Soup until I tried it at Panera. From that first moment I’ve been in love! I’ve tried several times to recreate the recipe at home unsuccessfully until now. This simple recipe for Copycate Panera Bread broccoli cheese soup comes together perfectly and may even be better than Panera’s (if that’s possible).
The only thing that would make Panera’s better is the fact that it saves me from cooking and cleaning up the mess afterwards. Serve this copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup with a nice crusty loaf of bread and a salad for a fabulous meal.
Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- ½ medium chopped onion
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ lb fresh broccoli I used one frozen 10 oz bag and it was perfect
- 1 cup carrot julienned (I used a food processor on pulse for nice slices)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter until onions are soft.
- Add in the flour and stir with the onions over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock.
- Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions.
- Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and sharp cheddar cheese.
- Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smoother soup you can puree it in a blender... but we love the chunks!
And if cheesy soups are a weekness of yours – do NOT miss this Easy Cheesy Potato Soup recipe!!