#ad: I’m required to disclose a relationship between our site and Save-a-Lot. This could include Save-a-Lot providing us w/content, product, access or other forms of payment. However, all opinions are our own and we stand behind anything we recommend!
UPDATE: Giveaway Winners announced at the bottom of this post!
Jamie here! On Sundays after church we’re always in the mood for Mexican food – and these cream cheese chicken taquitos are my guys’ FAVORITE Sunday lunch. They’re easy to throw together, creamy and crunchy and better for you than the frozen kind.
With the Super Bowl coming up I’m planning to make these the STAR of our football snacking spread.
I like to make a double batch of filling and stick half in a freezer bag for next time. That way next Sunday I can wake up, pull the bag out of the freezer to thaw and by the time we get home from church all I have to do is roll up the taquitos and stick them in the oven. (I find I’m much more likely to cook if I can make it as easy as possible on myself.)
These are great to serve with our Easy Summer Salsa Recipe!
Here’s how to make these scrumptious cream cheese chicken taquitos for your next Super Bowl Party, Cinco de Mayo or regular old Sunday afternoon….
First, stop by your local Save-a-Lot for a short list of ingredients – they have super affordable prices on all of these items!
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Cream Cheese
- Shredded Cheese (I like Cheddar Jack, but any old kind will be fine)
- Senora Verde Diced Tomatoes with Chiles (Store brand of Ro-tel)
- Taco Seasoning Packet
- Optional for Dipping: Velveeta or Marvella, Salsa, Refried Beans
Start by cooking the chicken, and while it cooks mix together diced tomatoes, cream cheese, taco seasoning and a couple tablespoons of the chopped cilantro. When the chicken is cooked, shred it up and add it to the cream cheese mixture as well.
(NOTE: You can DEFINITELY cook this in the slow cooker instead, just set on high for 3-4 hours with all the ingredients shown above – chicken on the bottom, the rest on top! I’ve done it this way several times.)
This is where I like to set up a little assembly line – set the stack of tortillas in front of you and spoon in a thin line of filling, sprinkle a tbsp of shredded cheese on top, roll tightly and place on a cookie sheet.
Continue until you’ve filled both cookie sheets and spray with cooking spray. (this helps them to crisp up in the oven) I like to get fancy and squeeze a little lime over the top and sprinkle a little sea salt over them – but if that doesn’t float your boat just shove it in the oven and be done!
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
I usually serve our taquitos with a few things to dip them in, like Velveeta dip, refried beans, and salsa. Everyone has their favorite dipping combo – mine is a pile of refried beans with a little puddle of cheese dip in the middle 😉
If made as directed, this should be enough to feed about 8-12 people (or 4-6 people twice!) I stretch ours a little bit further by also making rice on the side – we recently found this Vigo Spanish Rice at Save-a-Lot and we LOVE it. We have it all the time, and the best part – it’s only $1 a bag! (prices may vary by location)
Cream Cheese Chicken Taquitos
- 3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (about 2 1/2 lb)
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheese
- Senora Verde Diced Tomatoes with Chiles or Ro-tel
- 20 - 30 Small Tortillas Or 2 packs of Large
- Small handful of chopped cilantro
- 1 Taco Seasoning Packet
- Optional for Dipping: Velveeta or Marvella Salsa, Refried Beans
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat
- Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, then shred
- Combine cream cheese, diced tomatoes, cilantro, seasoning
- Add shredded chicken and stir well
- Spoon a small amount of chicken filling into each tortilla shell
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top
- Roll tightly and place on baking sheet
- Cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on edges
- Serve with cheese dip, salsa, etc...
And now for a little treat – Save a Lot is sponsoring a special giveaway exclusively for Time2$ave readers….
You can pretty much get everything you need to make these taquitos for FREE – just enter to win one of TWO $25 Save a Lot Giftcards! It’s easy to enter – there are 3 options below and each one earns you an extra entry. (Giveaway starts today and ends at midnight on Monday, 1/25.)