It’s that time of year again. Cool nights, football, bonfires, chili, and of course all things pumpkin. I’ve been looking for a healthier whole wheat pumpkin bread recipe for several weeks. Most of the recipes I found called for several cups of sugar. Since we made a commitment to eat healthier this year, I wanted to find an alternative that included wheat flour and honey. I found the original recipe on 100 Days of Real Food but tweaked it a bit to better suit our taste. I also made mini-muffins since my kiddos were anxious for breakfast this morning. I knew that waiting for a loaf of bread to cook might send their hungry little bellies over the edge. The muffins and bread turned out so moist and yummy!
Homemade Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread & Mini Muffins
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 cup melted coconut oil can substitute oil
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup roasted nuts walnuts or pecans optional
- 1 cup raisins optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, melt coconut oil.
- Add the rest of ingredients to coconut oil, combine.
- Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in wet ingredients and stir.
- Grease a loaf pan and mini muffin pan. Cook muffins for 9-12 minutes and loaf of bread for 30-40 minutes.
- Check for doneness with a toothpick or dry spaghetti noodle.