It’s so easy to get stuck in a rut, making the same recipes over and over again. I used to make this recipe years ago, and somehow completely forgot about it. As I was looking through my low carb meal plans, I found it and remembered how yummy it is. Today, I changed up the recipe a bit, as I usually make it in my slow cooker with split chicken breasts. We were gone most of the day so I used chicken tenders and cooked on the stove instead. Roasted sweet potatoes, and pan seared broccoli completed our meal.
Just a warning, do not make Apple Cider Chicken Tenders in a cast iron skillet as I learned the hard way. I didn’t think about the apple cider vinegar stripping the seasoning out of the bottom of my cast iron skillet. I know I can season my skillet again, but thought I would mention.
Adapted from Rachel Ray Apple Cider Chicken
Low Carb Meal Plans: Apple Cider Chicken Tenders
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken tenders
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced roasted garlic
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in pan on medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper chicken tenders generously on both sides.
- Brown chicken tenders in pan approx 7 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken tenders from pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan along with onions, thyme, honey, bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
- Stirring occasionally, brown onions for approx 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add apple cider (stir with a wooden spoon), and chicken stock to browned onions and bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to pan, lower heat to medium/low and cook covered for 30 minutes turning chicken after 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan, turn heat to high and thicken sauce.
- Either pour sauce over chicken, or return chicken to pot then serve.