These low carb roasted vegetables make a simple and delicious side dish that pairs nicely with just about any kind of meat, especially during grilling season.
Low Carb Roasted Vegetables: Delicious & Easy Side Dish
I love eating fresh vegetables. Not only do they taste amazing when they’re in season but they are so versatile and can be prepared in many different ways. Roasted veggies are healthy and easy to make. We often serve them with grilled burgers, steaks, or pork chops, especially in the warmer months. Plus, with so many people living the Keto lifestyle now, this keto side dish brings a little variety to meals.
Best Low Carb Veggies to Use:
You can use a wide variety of veggies to suit your taste buds when making low carb roasted vegetables. However, the ones that I used in this recipe are:
- brussels sprouts
- red pepper
- purple onion
- red pepper
- yellow bell pepper
Other veggies you could also include could be cauliflower, fresh green beans, green bell peppers, sliced turnips, and mushrooms.
What temperature is best to roast vegetables?
High temperatures are best when roasting vegetables as it gives the outside a nice crisp texture without turning the inside to a mushy mess. (no one likes that, right?) If you cook vegetables low and slow, they’ll still have a good flavor, but the texture won’t be as favorable. High temps are best when roasting vegetables!
How to Make Roast Vegetables Crispy
To get that crispness, you need to do a couple of things. First, have the temperature set for high heat so that it crips the outside. Next, spread the veggies on a baking sheet in a single layer so that they roast evenly. Stacking them up on top of each other will cause them to roast unevenly due to inconsistent heat distribution.
How long can you keep roasted vegetables?
Eating low carb roasted vegetables right out of the oven will deliver the best texture and flavor, but they will keep 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat and eat during that timeframe, but don’t plan on freezing them. They don’t tend to freeze well.
How to reheat roasted vegetables
While microwaving them works, you’ll get the best results if you can lay on a baking sheet in a single layer and reheat at 450 degrees until they are hot.
Tips for making the Very Best Low Carb Roasted Vegetables
- Set the oven to a high temperature
- Roast in a single layer on a sheet pan or cookie sheet then flip halfway through cooking.
- Use a generous amount of olive oil combined with flavorful spices, vinegar and a tad of sugar-free sweetener to offset the vinegar. (They won’t taste sweet.)
- Experiment with your favorite seasonings to change the taste
Other Keto Side Dishes:
Main Low Carb Dishes that would Pair Nicely with the Recipe:
Don’t Miss Any New Recipes
If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here.
Low Carb Roasted Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop vegetables to approximately the same size. Place in a large bowl.
- Prepare the marinade by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and stirring until combined. Next, pour the marinade on top of the vegetables and stir until marinade is distributed evenly.**The teaspoon of sweetener is used to offset the vinegar like in a store bought Italian dressing. The roasted veggies won't taste sweet.
- Pour veggies on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper (or if you don’t use parchment paper a greased sheet pan)
- Bake for 12 min on the top rack. Then, stir carefully on the baking pan. Once done, move to the middle rack for 12 more minutes. If you prefer your vegetables to be more tender roast for an additional 5-10 minutes.