My family absolutely loves Mexican food, but often times Mexican food can be pretty unhealthy so I’m always looking for a healthy alternative. As I was meal planning this week I remembered this recipe video that I saw on Facebook for Mexican Quinoa however, my husband does not enjoy vegetarian meals so I knew he’d be less than happy if I made it for dinner. To keep my man happy, I made several adaptions to the recipe to better suit my family’s taste and I must say that it turned out amazing! An added bonus, as a one pot meal it was so easy to make and clean up was a snap!
First, sauté the chicken breast and onion in olive oil until it browns on each side.
Next, add all the other ingredients except broth.
Add broth and stir. Then cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
If you could only smell through your screen you’d want to make this tonight for dinner.
Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Mexican Chicken and Quinoa Recipe
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken chopped
- 1 purple onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute' chicken and onion in olive oil until browned on each side.
- Combine all other ingredients in the pan except broth and stir well.
- Add broth then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.