A couple of years ago a friend of mine posted this recipe for Cheesy Tortilla Soup on Facebook. It looked so yummy, I asked if she would pass along her recipe. I would pair this with tortilla chips, or possibly Mexican Cornbread. My family loves Mexican food so I can’t wait to try making it for them. .
Cheesy Tortilla Soup
- 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tbsp. oil olive
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers can use red or yellow bell peppers as well
- 1/4 c butter cubed
- 1/3 c flour
- 2 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
- 1 can mexicorn
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 c cubed Velveeta
- 1 1/2 c Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar
- 1 1/2 c half and half
- 4 oz cream cheese.
- Cook chicken in the olive oil and add fajita seasoning mix, set aside.
- In large saucepan, sauté onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 min or until thick and bubbly. Add the rotel, corn, Velveeta, cream cheese, and cheeses. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Stir in half and half and chicken. Simmer, but do not boil.
- Serve topped with chips and cheese.