Back when I first heard about making microwave potato chips I was pretty dubious – because come on, if this method makes crispy potato chips why isn’t EVERYONE doing it? (right?) Well when I did try it, I was floored at how good these are – so was my husband who (surprise!) got fresh potato chips on his lunch break. So were my kids who came home from school to a warm batch of potato chips…. What a fun treat!
Here’s the incredibly simple way to make microwave potato chips in 8 minutes:
- Slice a clean potato (skin on!) into the thinnest slices you can manage
- Arrange them around a large microwave-safe plate and spray lightly with cooking spray
- Sprinkle with salt or other seasoning. (Garlic Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Cumin, etc….)
- Flip them over and do the same to the other side
- Microwave for 4 minutes or until a few of the chips have started to brown
- Flip them over and microwave an extra 2 minutes or until most of the chips are a little brown
That’s it! You haven’t soaked them in oil so they don’t need to sit on a paper towel. You can pull that plate right out of the microwave (careful, it’ll be HOT!) and put them right in your mouth 🙂
Can you just imagine all the custom potato chips varieties you could come up with? My 13 year old made his own after I showed him how – for an after school snack. Nothing to it guys, I’m tell you!
If you’re trying to avoid ANY oil at all – you can lay parchment paper down on the plate and skip the oil step. Or if you want more of an oily, indulgent potato chips, you can toss your potato slices in a little olive oil before seasoning, rather than use cooking spray.
I might never buy chips in a bag again… Except that’s a lie because although these Microwave Potato Chips turn out SO good – it would take me like an hour to make enough for my whole family… 🙂 That little bowl pictured above is about how many chips you get from one plate of potato slices.
Microwave Potato Chips (8-Minute Chips)
- 1 Medium Russet Yukon Gold, or Red Potato
- Non-stick spray or olive oil
- Salt and other seasonings
- Slice a clean potato (skin on!) into the thinnest slices you can manage.
- Arrange them around a large microwave-safe plate and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with salt or other seasoning. (Garlic Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Cumin, etc....)
- Flip them over and do the same to the other side.
- Microwave for 4 minutes or until a few of the chips have started to brown.
- Flip them over and microwave an extra 2 minutes or until most of the chips are a little brown.