Every time a new season rolls around it can be difficult to know what items to grab as your focus shifts. You may not be thinking about what to stock up on at the grocery store in December, however there are definitely items that are at their lowest price than at any other time of the year. The first thing to think about is the type of meals you will be serving and the types of entertaining you usually do. For many of us the holiday season means plenty of fun get-togethers and big family meals. So, start making your list now of the items you know you will be using in all your favorite dishes.
Not sure where to start? Here are a few great ideas to help you get rolling!
- Holiday Dinner: Eggnog, Gravy and Soup Mixes, Frozen Desserts, Marshmallows, Jell-O, Sour Cream, Meats, Instant Potatoes, Cranberry Sauce & Cheese
- Holiday Baking: Flour, Sugar, Butter, Cream, Cake Mix, Cookie Mix, Brownie Mix, Muffin Mix, Salt, Pie Crust, Whipping Cream, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cupcake Wrappers, Pam, Crisco, Icing, Chocolate Chips & Spices
- Snack Foods: Crackers, Chips, Soda, Chex Mix, Cereal & Candies
- Canned Foods: Soup, Broth, Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk, Fruits, Vegetables, Spaghetti Sauce & Beans
- Seasonal Produce: Clementines, Anjou Pears, Dates, Grapefruit, Haas Avocados, Kale, Kiwi, Savoy, Yams, White Potatoes, Bok Choy, Napa Cabbage, Kumquat, Turnips, Winter Squash, Cabbage, Spinach, Broccoli, Carrots, Lemon, Oranges, Sweet Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Red Cabbage, Celery & Rutabaga
As you work through this list you are sure to find a few new things to add depending on your family’s tastes and traditions! Remember, the idea is to make this process work for you and meet your unique needs. The holidays are upon us, so stock your pantry now and do your best to avoid that last minute trip to the store later.