One of my favorite new vegetables is spaghetti squash. It has such a yummy peppery flavor, completely not what I expected. In fact, the first time I made it my husband and I were very apprehensive and figured we’d end up trashing it after a couple of bites. We were pleasantly surprised that it was so delicious. I also love that it’s easy to prepare and doesn’t require a ton of complicated steps. Spaghetti squash pairs perfectly with one of my favorite easy go-to meals, Super Easy Spaghetti. Now we’ve just found a way to make it a little healthier. I serve with a big garden salad full of fresh veggies for a delicious healthy meal for my family.
Super Easy Spaghetti with Spaghetti Squash
- 1 lb very lean ground beef or turkey optional you can omit meat for a vegetarian tomato sauce
- 1 jar organic spaghetti sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes with basil garlic, and oregano
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Wash spaghetti squash then poke holes and microwave for 5 min. (Thanks to helpful friends for this tip, otherwise you'll feel like you might lose a finger in step 2).
- Cut in half and scrap out seeds (like a cantaloup3)
- Brush lightly with olive oil, and salt and pepper
- Cook on 400 degrees until tender about 20-30 min
- Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic cloves, then strain and rinse.
- Return to pan, then add spaghetti sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Simmer on low until spaghetti sauce has reached desired thickness.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven and allow to slightly cool so it's easier to handle.
- With a fork, scrape inside of spaghetti squash. It will look almost like noodles.
- Serve sauce over spaghetti squash.
How did I get my kids to eat spaghetti squash? I know that is what you are thinking. I started very slowly. The first time I made it for husband and I, I still cooked the kids whole grain noodles. The second time I added a little spaghetti squash to their noodles. The third and subsequent times I continued to add more spaghetti squash and less noodles. My son hates squash and zucchini and did not fall for zoodles, but he tolerates spaghetti squash.
Tip: Brown 2 lbs of ground beef and freeze the extra for an easy meal later. My ten minute trick would save even more time when preparing this recipe.