Disclosure: I partnered with/received compensation from Babywise.Life to write this post. All text and opinion is my own.
Finding out you are going to be a first-time mom is magical for many women. There is nothing like seeing a positive pregnancy test and all of the excitement that ensues all the way to bringing baby home. From the tiniest baby bump to hearing the heartbeat, to announcing the sex of the baby, and baby showers there is nothing like the experience. If you’ve been asked to share in the joy of a new little one and aren’t sure what kind of gift to buy I’d love to help. As a mom of four children (ages 13, 10, 2, and 6 months), I’ve had the privilege of experiencing a new baby with precious family and friends celebrating with us along the way more than once. Although my perspective on gifts and what I need has changed through different seasons of motherhood, I remember that first time like it was yesterday. I’ve included a list below of my top 10 gift ideas for new moms.
- Baby Registry Items – If a mom has taken the time to create a registry I always check it out first as these items are the very heartbeat of mom’s desires. I want to honor her opinion because out of all the people in the world she knows what she wants. Most baby registries are available online nowadays. I’ve discovered that it’s easier to shop online as many times I’ve pulled the registry up in a store and make a plan only to find many items out of stock. If I shop online, I can quickly determine what is available, thus saving time.
- Travel System – One of the most necessary items for a new mom is a car seat. You can’t even leave the hospital without the nursing staff making sure that you understand how to use your car seat for optimal safety. A travel system, in my opinion, is one of the best inventions. It’s so easy to remove the infant car seat base out of the car and pop it in the stroller without ever waking a sleeping baby. Since it’s one of the more expensive baby items, going in with several people is a fantastic option.
- Diaper Caddy – I have this exact diaper caddy and love it. Instead of only having diaper changing necessities in the nursery, it’s so nice to have an additional set in the main living area of your home. I keep this basket stocked in my family room so that I can change my babies (yes, I have 2 in diapers) without having to leave the room or carry them to their nursery. It’s also convenient to transport around the house if needed.
- Bath Set – A quality bath set that is delicate enough for baby’s skin is important for newborns. It doesn’t take a lot of each product, so a set that includes all the necessities is a thoughtful and much-needed gift.
- Cotton Muslin Blanket – I don’t know how I missed out on these with my first three babies, but I’m super happy to have discovered them for baby number 4. Muslin blankets are much larger than standard receiving blankets and are perfect as a swaddle, lightweight blanket, or a nursing cover.
- Sleeping Bag – The last two babies we’ve had the hospital has suggested that we use sleeping bags for naps and nighttime sleep. These are specially made to fit right over babies’ jammies to keep them warm without the risk of using blankets in the crib.
- Forehead Thermometer – It is natural to worry about your baby as a new mom. An accurate and easy to use thermometer is essential as you begin to figure out whether the baby is acting normal or possibly dealing with teething or sickness.
- Health & Grooming Kit – Even if your baby was born bald and with short nails before you know it a brush, comb, nail clippers and such will be a necessity. An excellent health and grooming kit includes many different items that will be helpful such as a nasal aspirator, medicine syringe, nail clippers, and more.
- Baby Carrier – Babies love to be held a lot, but it can make it difficult to get things done around the house. I’ve enjoyed using baby carriers with my last two babies. I use a Moby the first couple of months then transition to an Ergo after about four months. A baby carrier frees up my hands to complete necessary tasks around the house. Plus, if we are out and don’t want to use our stroller, it makes managing baby so much easier. My babies have always loved baby wearing and sleep so well close to me.
- Gift for Mom or a Restaurant Gift Card – I recently attended a baby shower where a friend of mine included a gift certificate for mom to go shopping after baby. I thought it was an amazing idea to give mom permission to take care of herself. Personally, I’ve received restaurant gift cards that I greatly valued. On a night when I didn’t feel like cooking, my husband was able to pick up a yummy dinner for us that everyone enjoyed.