As you may have noticed, low carb and keto lifestyles are all the rage. Basically, you eat high fat, moderate protein, and low carb to get your body in a state of “ketosis” where it burns fat for fuel. My husband and I have been doing it for a little over a month, combined with our AdvoCare wellness supplements, and we feel great. We’ve also gotten fabulous results. I’m down 10lbs and he is down 17lbs. If you love pasta and can’t imagine going without it, zoodles are a fabulous low carb healthy alternative. These Veggie Zoodles would make a great side dish to a juicy high-fat steak.
You’ll need a “zoodle” maker or spiralizer for this recipe. There are a ton of different options of Amazon. I’ve included two of the most popular ones below.
If you think you’ll be making zoodles pretty often. This spiralizer is a great option.
If you aren’t sure how often you will make zoodles this spiralizer is a great first option.
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 whole large zucchini’s spiralized (makes about 6-8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of yellow onions, julienned (I used 1 whole medium onion)
- 1 large red pepper, julienned, seeds removed (if desired)
- 2 cups of portabella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups of medley tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced (optional)
- In a large pan, over
medium highheat, melt butter and heat oil. Add in onions and peppers, cook for 3-5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Stirring occasionally.
- Add in mushrooms and tomatoes, cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until tomatoes soften a little. Stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, add in lemon juice (if desired).
- Add in zucchini noodles, toss it with all the ingredients, lower heat to medium, and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until zucchini noodles heat up.
To get started on a ketogenic lifestyle, this book is a fabulous resource.