Even though I am very committed to a healthy eating lifestyle, we still have cheat days. On those days, I choose my very favorite sweet treat and enjoy every single last bite. In the summertime, I especially love anything with strawberries. These Very Strawberry Cupcakes are the perfect treat for a cheat day sweet! They reminds me so much of my grandmother’s 6 layer Strawberry Cake, but it’s much easier to make!
Very Strawberry Cupcakes
- 2 cups fresh strawberries washed, stemmed, hulled sliced in quarters
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 2 eggs
- 2 eggs whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
- 3 sticks unsalted butter room temp
- 4-5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberry washed hulled, and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put cupcake liners into regular muffin pans.
- Puree the strawberries with 1 tbsp of sugar in a food processor set to the side.
- You will need to sift the all purpose flour into the bowl of a stand mixer using a paddle attachment.
- Add the sugar and baking powder into the flour and mix on low just until combined.
- Add the butter and strawberry puree to the flour and mix on low until combined.
- In a second bowl whisk together the eggs, egg whites and vanilla extract.
- Add butter mixture to the flour mixture mix on low speed.
- Mix on medium speed until well combined about 1 minute.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners only 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until using a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then remove from pan.
- Place on a cooling rack allow to cool for 1 hour before frosting.
Strawberry Butter-cream Frosting
- Cream butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the confectioners sugar about a cup at a time and beat just until blended.
- Add the puree and vanilla, scrape bowl as needed and beat until the buttercream is light and fluffy, approximately 3-5 minutes (mine was perfect at about a minute).
- Frost cupcakes and decorate as your heart desires.