Are you wondering if the Secret Sister Gift Exchange works? Don’t want to get left in the cold without any gifts?
Secret Sister Gift Exchange – A Scam?
Update: When calling the Secret Sister Gift Exchange a scam or a scheme – please understand that I don’t at all mean to imply that anyone is purposefully looking to cheat anyone else. I only mean to state that, statistically speaking, the plan is fraught with complications and the 36 promised gifts will very likely not come to pass. I just think it’s good for folks to know this going in. Carry on! 🙂
Jamie here! I’ve been seeing lots of my friends post on their facebook page about this Secret Sister Gift Exchange in which you need to recruit 6 friends to send a $10 Gift. In return, you’ll receive 36 gifts!!! Sound too good to be true? Well – not to be a Debbie Downer, but it is….
How the Secret Sister Gift Exchange Works
The Secret Sister Gift Exchange works like the age-old chain mail premise, where you’ll send one letter and receive a landslide of letters back.
To be fair…. In theory the Secret Sister Gift Exchange could possibly work if all 6 people you sent your letter to stuck with the program and sent it out to their people, and all 36 of those people stuck to it and sent it out to their 216 people, and those 216 people ALL stuck with it and sent it out to their 1,296 people. And then you know – at some point, it would exponentially require the entire population of the world to participate and then CIRCLE BACK AROUND to the start of the list – in order for everyone on the list to get their 36 gifts.
In short, you might get one gift back – or maybe two if you’re at the start of the Secret Sister Gift Exchange pyramid where your chances are greatest. (I’ve heard from several folks who really did get one or a few gifts back – so doing it with people you know, and being one of the first to start it will improve your chances) But there’s bound to be people under you who lose out completely. People who were hauled in by other people (or you!) and because they joined later they’re going to have very slim chances of actually getting a gift back. And that stinks.
And you will certainly not receive 36 gifts back with the Secret Sister Gift Exchange.
Here’s how the Secret Sister Exchange is worded…
Welcome to our secret sister gift exchange! Here’s how it works:
1) Send one gift value at least $10 to secret sister #1 below.
2) Remove secret sister’s name from #1; then move secret sister #2 to that spot.
3) Add your name to #2 with your info.
4) Then send this info to 6 other ladies with the updated name info
5) Copy the secret sister request that I posted on my wall, to your own wall. If you cannot complete this within 1 week please notify me, as it isn’t fair to the ladies who have participated and are waiting for their own gifts to arrive. You might want to order directly from a web-based service (Amazon, or any other online shop) which saves a trip to the post office. Soon you should receive 36 gifts! What a deal, 36 gifts for giving just one! Be sure to include some information about yourself … some of your favorites. Seldom does anyone drop out because it’s so much fun to send a gift to someone you may or may not know … and of course it’s fun to receive. You should begin receiving gifts in about 2 weeks if you get your letters out to your 6 people right away.
And if that doesn’t make you leary – just know that the Post Office warns that schemes involving chain letters. And last but not least – Snopes is all over it. So you know, there’s that. 😉
If you’re in a hurry to get in the Christmas spirit – just whip yourself up a batch of this amazing Christmas Crack and settle in to gain a few pounds 😉