I absolutely love BBQ sauce, especially my family’s homemade recipe. One of my favorite summertime recipes is grilled chicken hot off the grill slathered in BBQ sauce. Truthfully, I prefer twice as much sauce as chicken as you might have noticed in the image above. I didn’t want ordinary crockpot BBQ chicken! No, I wanted my daddy’s homemade sauce recipe. Not only is the BBQ sauce amazing, the smell brought back so many wonderful memories of my daddy. I remember standing by his side so many times while he was cooking on the grill, or stirring a big pot of homemade BBQ sauce. I’ve included my family’s secret (or now not so secret) recipe below. It was so nice after a fun day out with the kiddos to have dinner almost ready when we walked in the door.
Crockpot Chicken with Homemade BBQ Sauce Inspired by The Chew
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper or less to taste
- dash garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce optional
- 1 med onion chopped optional
- Ingredients for Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- Mix mustard and ketchup thoroughly in saucepan.
- Add sugar, spices, and chopped onion. Place over heat and bring to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients, and place lid on pot (but leave ajar).
- Reduce heat to very low and simmer til thick as desired. Approx 30 minutes
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Place boneless skinless chicken breast in crockpot.
- Cover with 1/2 cup homemade BBQ sauce.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add additional 1/2 cup of sauce during last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Remove and serve. If desired, cover with BBQ sauce. Can also shred chicken.