Thick, creamy, and loaded with shreds of chicken, this Instant Pot Keto Chicken Taco Soup is one you will want to enjoy through the fall and beyond. An easy and quick recipe, this soup is weeknight-friendly and just what to eat when you want big flavor without a ton of time.
Pin this recipe for the Best Instant Pot Keto Chicken Taco Soup
The BEST Keto Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
My family loves all types of Tex-Mex foods, and I love to make them quick, convenient, and healthy dishes. This soup fits the bill! This creamy chicken taco soup is a nice twist on my Queso Keto Taco Soup with ground beef. Soup weather is finally here, and this soup is the perfect comfort food to warm you on these cooler days.
On the recipe card, I’ve included directions for making this delicious soup recipe in the Instant Pot (or another electric pressure cooker) and the Crock-Pot for convenience. I know that people either prefer one or the other usually.
Instant Pot recipes are so quick and easy, especially for busy nights. If you don’t have an Instant Pot or some other pressure cooker, I’ve included info below of the model that I use, although any brand will suffice.
Does it Matter Which Instant Pot Do I Use?
While you can use any Electric Pressure Cooker, I have an Instant Pot 6 qt DUO60 7-in-1. It has tons of different functions, but I’ve only used the high pressure, saute, and soup functions. I don’t see myself using any of the other functions, but you might find them valuable. There are many different models available with various bells and whistles, but I am a basic kind of girl, so this one works perfectly for me.
Step-By-Step Process Pics for Recipe for Easy Chicken Taco Soup:
I first saute my chopped green peppers and onions in the Instant Pot on the saute function. I love that I can saute in the same pot that I cook this soup under pressure to minimize the number of dirty dishes.
When you saute the green peppers and onions, it will cause brown bits to stick to the bottom of the inner pot of the Instant Pot. You have to deglaze the pan. Otherwise, it might not come to pressure. To do this, while the saute function is still turned on, pour about 1/4 cup chicken broth in the pan and scrape the bits off the bottom with a wooden spoon. They are incredibly flavorful and will add more taste to this delicious Easy Chicken Taco Soup keto recipe.
Add the chicken and all other ingredients except the cream cheese into your pot to make the Instant Pot Keto Chicken Taco Soup. With little ones underfoot, it makes me one happy mama when I can dump all the ingredients into the pot at one time. Prep time is so easy and clean up is a breeze when using the Instant Pot. When you pressure cook this low carb chicken taco soup, it will taste like it has been simmering for hours.
While I have a recipe for Homemade Keto Taco Seasoning that you could use in this recipe, I prefer to add the individual spices listed on the recipe card. I use the store-bought dry ranch seasoning packet but, if you prefer, you can find a homemade recipe on Pinterest.
Once this keto-friendly soup is done, you can remove the chicken and shred it into chunks. I like to shred mine in different sizes from larger pieces of chicken to smaller shreds for added texture. I don’t add the cream cheese until after the soup has pressure cooked as dairy products often break down in the Instant Pot. The cream cheese makes this Creamy Chicken Taco Soup rich and full of incredible flavor.
Pro Tip: While I usually shred my chicken with two forks, many use a mixer for convenience. If you are in a time pinch, the mixer might be the quickest choice, but keep in mind it will shred all the chicken finely so you will miss out on the texture of having some bigger chicken chunks.
Variations to the Recipe for Chicken Taco Soup:
- Use chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts – I tested the recipe with tenderloins because my grocery store was out of chicken breasts. I cooked them on high pressure for eight minutes, then did a quick release after five minutes.
- Double the cream cheese to make a Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup.
- Swap out the chicken for 1.5 pounds of ground beef or turkey for the chicken. If using ground beef, I would also use beef broth instead of chicken broth.
- If you don’t follow a ketogenic diet, you can add black beans or pinto beans and/or corn.
- You can also cook this in the Crock-pot, but make sure to add the cream cheese at the end. I have included cooking instructions for crock-pot chicken taco soup in the recipe card.
I made my Taco Chaffle recipe and cut the chaffles in strips and garnished the soup with them along with a mixture of white and mild cheddar cheese.
Toppings for Easy Keto Taco Soup Recipe:
- Shredded Cheese (I used mild cheddar and white cheddar)
- Sour Cream
- Sliced Taco Chaffles
- Make a taco chaffle and cut in small strips to enjoy with the Chicken Taco Soup instead of tortillas
What to Serve with Chicken Taco Soup?
A simple garden salad makes a complete meal for this delicious and flavorful Easy Keto Chicken Taco Soup. If you aren’t following a keto diet, you can serve with tortilla chips.
More Keto Soup Recipes:
- Keto Chicken & Cauliflower Rice Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Keto Broccoli & Cheese Soup Recipe
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Soup Instant Pot Recipe
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- Shrimp & Bacon Chowder
Delicious Keto Recipes with Chicken:
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken with Broccoli Bake
- Monterey Chicken
- Low Carb Chicken Philly Cheesesteak
- Keto Chicken Alfredo with Broccoli Bake
- Easy Mozzarella Chicken Recipe
How to Make Keto Chicken Taco Soup in the Instant Pot
The BEST Keto Chicken Taco Soup (Instant Pot & Crock-Pot Recipe)
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes (diced tomatoes with green chilis)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 pack dry ranch seasoning mix
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- salt & pepper to taste
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to saute function and allow to heat. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, then chopped green peppers, onion, and minced garlic. Saute until the onions and green peppers begin to soften (approx 4 minutes).
- Pour approx 1/4 cup of the chicken broth in the Instant Pot, then use a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot. It is important to deglaze the pan in this step so that it will come to pressure properly. Those bits are also incredibly flavorful.
- Add all of the other ingredients except the ranch seasoning and cream cheese then place the lid on the Instant Pot to seal.
- Turn on high pressure for 14 minutes, then allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure and begin cooking.
- Once the 14 minutes of pressure cooking has completed, allow a 5-minute natural pressure release, then do a QR (quick pressure release) by turning the pressure valve to release the steam. I always cover the valve with a kitchen towel to avoid it spraying on my cabinets.
- Once all the steam has released, and the pin has dropped, remove the lid.
- Take out the chicken breasts and place on a cutting board or plate and shred with two forks, and return the chicken to the Instant Pot. I prefer larger chunks of chicken in this recipe.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function and add the ranch seasoning. Make sure the cream cheese is softened, then scoop out about a cup of the soup to add to the softened cream cheese. To best incorporate the cream cheese in the soup, I use either an immersion blender or whisk to mix it into the cup of soup first, then pour the entire mixture back into the instant pot. Stir to combine.
- Boil for approx 4 minutes on saute function, then add salt and pepper to taste.
Crock Pot Instructions for Keto Chicken Taco Soup:
- In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat then add green peppers, onion, and minced garlic.
- While you are sauteing the veggies add all of the other ingredients to the Crock-Pot except for the cream cheese. Dairy ingredients like cream cheese often break down when slow-cooked; therefore, we won't add the cream cheese until the very last step after the soup has slow-cooked.
- Add the sauteed veggies to the Crock-Pot and stir to combine.
- Slow cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4.
- Remove the chicken and shred into chunks then add back to the Crock-Pot.
- If you cooked the soup on low turn the Crock-Pot to high now. If you slow-cooked on high leave the setting on high. Remove about 1 cup of the broth from the soup and combine in a bowl with the softened cream cheese. You can use a whisk or an immersion blender. Then add the mixture back to the Crock-Pot and stir to combine.
- Slow-cook on high for 30 minutes with the lid on.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!