Healthy Cauliflower Salad Recipe
Looking for a tasty and healthy cauliflower salad recipe? Look no further than our Creamy Cauliflower Salad Recipe! Made with fresh cauliflower, boiled eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, crunchy celery, and zesty shallots, this salad is packed with flavor and low-carb. Top it off with a tangy mayonnaise dijon dressing for an extra burst of flavor. Enjoy this refreshing dish as a light side dish or quick lunch idea any time of year!
Did you know comfort food doesn’t have to be hot? Give me a bowl full of scrumptious flavors, and I am all warm and cozy on the inside! And with this low-carb, healthy cauliflower salad, you’ll feel totally satisfied without the guilt. Try it as a side dish, as part of a salad spread, or as a complete meal – this is the best cold cauliflower salad recipe you’ll ever taste!
Ingredients for Cauliflower Salad
Eggs – Boiled eggs are an easy and delicious protein with many added nutrients.
Fresh cauliflower – This acts as the foundation of this meal. Cauliflower is nutrient dense and so filling.
Celery – There are so many health benefits to eating celery, which adds the perfect crunch to this dish.
Shallots – Shallots offer a subtle and sweeter onion flavor that is perfect for this salad.
Mayonnaise brings the dish together, adding flavor and a sensory appeal.
Dijon mustard – This salad is incomplete without a hint of this sharp and spicy ingredient.
Sundried tomatoes bring added layers, texture, complexity, and acidity! Not to mention they are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Salt & pepper – Salt enhances flavor, while pepper adds a pop of its own.
Parsley for garnish – You may think this is only for its leafy visual interest, but it also enhances the other flavors in the dish!
How to make cauliflower salad recipe
Scroll to the bottom of this post for the printable recipe with detailed ingredients and instructions.
This salad is easy peasy:
STEP 1: Boil the eggs, peel and cut them into quarter pieces, then set them aside.
TIP: Once fully cooked, drain the hot water and run cold water over the hot eggs. Drain the pot and dry the eggs. You can gently roll them against your cutting board to break the shell. All of this will help the peeling process tremendously!
STEP 2: Chop cauliflower into florets. Steam the florets in boiling water or a steamer. Steam until tender but not soft. Otherwise, it will end up mashed. Drain the pot and place the cauliflower florets in a large bowl.
STEP 3: Chop celery, shallots, and sundried tomatoes on your cutting board.
STEP 4: Add eggs, vegetables (celery, shallots, and sundried tomatoes), mayonnaise, and dijon mustard to the large salad bowl with the small florets.
STEP 5: Toss with mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Alternatively, you can stir the mayo and mustard in a small bowl separately first, then pour the mixture over the salad before tossing all of the ingredients of this yummy cauliflower salad. Adjust the salt and black pepper to taste. Combine well.
STEP 8: Generously sprinkle chopped, fresh parsley leaves over the dish. And perhaps a bit more salt and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for one hour before serving, or eat right away, but I think it’s best served chilled!
Is cauliflower salad keto?
Yes! I can be, and I am telling you, this is the best keto cauliflower salad! All of the ingredients are low in net carbs but very nutrient dense.
How to choose and buy cauliflower
Cauliflower heads should be very pale, firm, and tightly closed. Avoid spots or cauliflower that is softening. That means it is beginning to spoil.
How to chop fresh cauliflower for Salad
First, cut the head of the cauliflower in half. Then, cut it into quarters. Cut the core out on the diagonal. You should be able to break apart the florets with your hands easily! You can cut long stems into smaller pieces if you want to include them in the salad.
Different ways to steam cauliflower
You can steam cauliflower in a pan, a steaming basket, or in the microwave.
Cover with 1/4 inch of water in a pan and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil. Cover the pan for 3-8 minutes, until desired firmness, then drain excess water.
In a steamer, you will need 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil and cover. Steam for 3-8 minutes.
In the microwave, place 1 tbsp of water with florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and cook on high for 1 minute. Repeat in 15-second intervals until the florets are tender but firm.
Is cauliflower salad like potato salad?
Cauliflower is a great potato substitute if you are eating keto! So absolutely, while it will have a different flavor and texture, it is most definitely like a potato salad! It is a lower-starch and much more nutrient-dense option.
Tips for making fresh cauliflower salad
Well, if it’s not obvious, make sure all of your ingredients are fresh! You don’t want to use vegetables that are beginning to spoil. And using fresh herbs are preferred over dried ones. Wash and dry all produce well before you start combining ingredients in the dish. Make sure you chop and mix everything in a way that allows you to get even flavors in one bite!
Salads like these are my favorite! There are endless variations.
- You can make a raw cauliflower salad instead of steaming it.
- Turn the entire dish into a broccoli salad simply by following the recipe but substituting broccoli for the cauliflower.
- Instead of mayonnaise, you could use olive oil, sour cream, or greek yogurt, and instead of or in addition to dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and a bit of lemon juice or zest would add a delicious zing!
- Red or green onions would also be great substitutes for the shallots, although this will offer a sharper flavor.
- Walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, sunflowers, or sliced almonds could also add a nutty crunch to this dish!
How to make the cauliflower salad ahead
Cauliflower salad can be made beforehand, which can be convenient for meal prep or entertaining. Here are a few quick tips that yield the freshest results.
- Prepare the ingredients: Wash and chop the cauliflower, hard-boiled eggs, sun-dried tomatoes, celery, and shallots as needed. Keep them separate in airtight containers or resealable bags.
- Make the dressing: Mix the mayonnaise and dijon mustard ahead of time and store it in a separate container. This will help prevent the salad from becoming soggy.
- Assemble the salad: When ready to serve the salad, combine the ingredients in a bowl. Then drizzle the dressing on top and lightly toss to ensure the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Pop it in the fridge: After you’ve assembled the cauliflower salad and dressing, cover it with plastic wrap or a lid and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it. Chilling the salad will help the flavors meld together and ensure that it’s refreshing and crisp.
By following these steps, you can make a delicious and refreshing cauliflower salad ahead of time, saving you time and stress when it comes to meal prep.
How to store the low-carb cauliflower salad
Store in a glass bowl with a sealed lid or even mason jars for an easy grab-and-go lunch! The salad can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve this healthy cauliflower salad with?
Here are a few ideas:
- Serve with steak, burger, chicken, or another protein of choice.
- Add a serving of cauliflower salad as a side to a sandwich or wrap for a tasty and healthy lunch option.
- Pair with soup for a comforting and satisfying meal.
- This would also be tasty plated with various other low-carb, high-protein salads!
- You can get creative and pair it with your favorite dishes for a healthy and delicious meal.
More healthy low-carb salad recipes:
- Keto Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Keto Big Mac Salad Recipe (with Creamy Dressing)
- Keto Chicken Salad
- Keto Cucumber Salad Recipe
- Keto Egg Salad with Bacon
Easy Healthy Cauliflower Salad Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 shallots
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes
- salt & pepper
- parsley for garnish
- Place the eggs in a pot of boiling water for 9-11 minutes until fully cooked. Then, transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice water to cool for a few minutes before peeling the shells. Once peeled, cut the eggs into bite-sized pieces and set aside to add to the salad later.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and chop the head into small florets. Place the florets in a steamer basket and steam for 5-7 minutes or until the cauliflower is just tender. You don't want it soft. Remove the cauliflower from the steamer basket and drain thoroughly. Place the cauliflower in a large bowl to cool before adding the other ingredients.
- Clean, pat dry, and chop celery, shallot, and sundried tomatoes into small pieces.
- Add the vegetables and eggs to the bowl with the cauliflower.
- Add mayonnaise and dijon mustard to the salad. Toss and mix completely.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Garnish the dish with finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes or up to 24 hours. Serve and Enjoy!