This method for making shredded chicken in the crock-pot is fast, easy, and flavorful! Whether you are using boneless skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or frozen chicken, you will love how tender and juicy it will be. This chicken is perfect to make ahead of time to meal prep for later, or for a recipe you need right away.
How to make slow cooker shredded chicken
Many recipes list pulled chicken as an ingredient. However, they don’t always tell you exactly HOW to make it. These step-by-step photos will show you my favorite way to prepare it. I prefer to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but you can use any cut you prefer!
Step 1: Add salt and pepper to the chicken, place it in the slow-cooker, and add just enough chicken broth or stock to cover the chicken breasts. If you do not have chicken broth on hand, you can also use veggie or bone broth: cover and cook. Cooking time will vary depending on what setting you use for your slow cooker.
Step Two: Remove the chicken from your pot, and make sure that it is done. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If the chicken is slightly underdone at 160 degrees, you can still remove it from the pot and let it continue to cook while resting on a cutting board. Just make sure it reaches 165 degrees before shredding.
Step 3: On a cutting board, shred the chicken using two forks. To do this, firmly press the chicken down with one of the forks and with the other, pull in the opposite direction. It will be the easiest when the chicken is hot, but allowing your chicken to rest for a few minutes will help maintain its moisture. Continue until all the chicken is shredded.
Are there other ways to cook shredded chicken?
- Poach it in water – In a saucepan, bring the chicken to a boil then gently simmer it until it is cooked all the way through.
- Bake in the oven – Place chicken on a baking pan and bake at 400 degrees for 22-26 minutes until cooked through.
- Saute on the stove – In a skillet, add olive oil and saute chicken breasts on each side for 4-7 minutes until done.
In my opinion, using the slow cooker to make shredded chicken is the best way since its simple and keeps the chicken moist and flavorful!
The BEST methods for shredding your chicken
- A stand mixer – Remove any bones if needed, and place the cooked chicken in a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment. Turn on low and mix until it reaches the desired texture. Be careful not to over shred! If you prefer super juicy chicken, add a little of your broth to the bowl when shredding it.
- A hand mixer – Remove any bones if needed and set the chicken in a large bowl. Press the beaters into the chicken breasts and turn on low mix thoroughly until fully shredded.
- By hand – You can go the old fashioned way and pull the chicken by hand. This way, you can easily control how large you want your chunks of chicken to be while carefully removing any bones or tendons. Just make sure to let the chicken cool enough so that it does not burn your hands while shredding.
Is shredded chicken in the slow cooker healthy?
Yes! Shredded chicken is a fabulous protein to add to various dishes, especially keto-friendly casseroles. One serving size of pulled chicken is approximately one cup unless you are adding it to another recipe then the serving size would adjust. It also has ZERO carbs, making it a delicious and filling ingredient to any of your favorite low carb meals.
How do I store shredded chicken?
Making shredded chicken ahead of time is a fantastic way to meal prep! You can prepare several pounds at once and store in an airtight container for 2-3 months in the freezer and thaw anytime you need chicken for a recipe. I would suggest dividing into 1 pound storage containers or plastic bags to freeze to make it easier to thaw for casseroles. Or you can refrigerate it for 3-4 days.
How to thaw frozen chicken
There are a couple of different ways to thaw shredded chicken! Here are some of the easiest:
- Place the frozen chicken in the fridge overnight, and it will be ready to go by the morning.
- Submerge the airtight container or bag in cold water for 2-3 hours. You can also use warm water to make it faster.
- Microwave the chicken for a couple of minutes on the defrost setting or at half power. The chicken does not have to come to room temperature; you just don’t want large chunks frozen solid.
What to make with shredded chicken
Whether you’re making a chicken sandwich on a chaffle, using leftovers, or you’re looking for a quick and easy low carb recipe for dinner, crock-pot shredded chicken is the way to go! It is so versatile, giving you endless options!
Shredded Chicken Tacos (Eat on a low carb tortilla or lettuce to make it keto-friendly)
Don’t miss out!
If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources. Amazon has several great books you may want to check out here.
How To Make Crockpot Shredded Chicken:
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 1 lb raw chicken (thighs or breasts)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Season the chicken, then place in slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth, and turn on. Cook for 2-3 hours on high and 4-5 hours on low heat.
- Remove from your crockpot and shred using a mixer or two forks.
- A stand mixer - Remove any bones if needed, and place the cooked chicken in a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment. Turn on low and mix until it reaches the desired texture. Be careful not to over shred! If you prefer super juicy chicken, add a little of your broth to the bowl when shredding it.
- A hand mixer - Remove any bones if needed and set the chicken in a large bowl. Press the beaters into the chicken breasts and turn on low mix thoroughly until fully shredded.
- By hand - You can go the old fashioned way and pull the chicken by hand. This way, you can easily control how large you want your chunks of chicken to be while carefully removing any bones or tendons. Just make sure to let the chicken cool enough so that it does not burn your hands while shredding.