One of the most popular keto-friendly side dishes is the Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus. This Keto-friendly veggie recipe is so delicious and super easy to make. It’s a great low-carb side dish to throw next to a steak or chicken on the grill. You’ll even find the kids reaching for this vegetable dish!
Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
We love to grill out, especially when the weather is nice. Since we eat at home a lot, I am on board anytime we can prepare a meal without making a huge mess in the kitchen. It is so easy to throw burgers or steaks on the grill along with grilled bacon-wrapped asparagus. Make a nice garden salad for a complete keto and low-carb-friendly meal. Although grilled asparagus is delicious, wrapping it in bacon first completely changes the playing field. If you haven’t tried it, you should!
Is Asparagus Keto Diet Friendly?
Absolutely! Asparagus is a fantastic low-carb veggie. It pairs nicely as a keto side dish with only 2.4g net carbs in a 1 cup serving. It is also high in fiber and low in calories.
What is the Best Asparagus for this Recipe?
Asparagus typically comes in thick or thin stalks. In this grilled asparagus recipe, a thicker stalk is preferred to avoid overcooking in high heat.
- Asparagus — I used a one-pound bunch of asparagus. It should be enough to feed a family. If you’d like, you can halve the recipe and save the rest of the asparagus for another day.
- Bacon — I usually have bacon in the fridge at all times, but about a half-pound should be enough to wrap all of your asparagus. I wrap one piece around several stalks of asparagus, but you can also wrap them individually if you have enough bacon to do so.
- Salt and pepper — Although the bacon is salty, you will still want to season the asparagus themselves with some salt and pepper. Feel free to use another seasoning if you would like!
How to make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus:
Step 1: Preparing Asparagus to Cook
First, wash your asparagus and pat dry. If you haven’t worked with asparagus before, the biggest thing to remember is to remove the lower portion of the stalk. Asparagus is a great vegetable, but the larger lower portion of the stalk is woody and tough. You want to eat just the upper 2/3 of the vegetable. Usually, this part snaps off easily when you bend the stalk, but if not, you can easily cut them off.
I usually trim the lower 1 to 1 1/2 inches of the asparagus stalk.
Step 2: Wrapping the Asparagus
Wrapping the asparagus with bacon is the fun part. I typically wrap one slice of bacon around 3 to 4 stalks. You can make your bundles bigger or smaller if you’d like, but I found this number to work best for me. If you go too big, the bundles could fall apart on the grill. I use a toothpick to secure them. If your kids like helping in the kitchen, this is an ideal way to get them involved! After you have your wrapped bacon around the asparagus bundles, sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste. Don’t go too heavy on the salt, as the bacon is already quite salty.
Step 3: Grilling the Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Finally, place your bacon-wrapped asparagus bundles on a heated grill. They should take 3-5 minutes on each side to cook, and cook times will vary depending on the temperature of your grill. After they are cooked, remove them from the grill and enjoy your tasty low-carb side dish!
Tip: I have recently started using grill mats for my veggies. They considerably cut down on fires, especially when using bacon like in this recipe. If you don’t use grill mats, watch them cook carefully to avoid the asparagus catching on fire.
How do you trim asparagus?
Asparagus is delicious, but you don’t want to eat the whole stalk. Before wrapping in bacon, trim off the tough, woody ends. Here’s how: hold each end of the asparagus stalk in your hands. Then, bend it until the woody ends snap off. It is the easiest way to trim asparagus because it should snap right where the woody part begins. After that, you can either continue snapping each stalk individually or use the first stalk as a guide to trim the rest. Simply line up your asparagus and cut off the ends, starting at the end of the first stalk!
Tip: If this is your first time trimming asparagus, check out How to Trim Asparagus for more details.
What goes best with asparagus?
This veggie pairs well with many different meals. You can serve this bacon-wrapped asparagus dish with nearly any protein you want. It goes great with salmon, chicken, steak, and even a juicy burger. I typically make this dish on nights when I already have the grill heated. However, they’re so good you might turn on the grill just for this bacon-wrapped asparagus!
More Keto Asparagus Recipes:
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Asparagus
- 1 bunch Asparagus (about 25 to 30 small)
- enough bacon to wrap a 3 stalks, approx. half a pound
- 1/4 tsp salt (may omit)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Wash asparagus and pat dry.
- Trim the asparagus about 1 -1.5 inches from the end.
- Wrap 3 stalks 3/4 of the way with one slice of bacon then secure with a toothpick.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Turn preheated grill to medium heat
- Place on grill and cook for about 3 to 5 min on each side.( I have started using a grill mat for my veggies and it has greatly reduced the number of fires we deal with while cooking.)