Have you ever had a Butter Burger? This easy and Keto Butter Burger Recipe will be one you will absolutely fall in love with for the grill or stove! Keto fans can serve on lettuce buns or just by themselves. They pair great with your favorite keto-friendly sides!
Keto Butter Burger Recipe
Grilled burgers are a staple at our home, especially during the summer. It’s so easy to fire up the grill, throw on some burgers and veggies without ever getting your kitchen dirty. Since we’ve been following a Ketogenic diet, I’ve learned to love my burger without a bun, which is kind of crazy considering that the bun used to be my favorite part.
It’s always fun to change up burgers as there are many possibilities. One of our favorite way to jazz up a burger is by adding butter. It’s true! Butter makes everything better. At least, that is what I have found since following Keto. This recipe for a butter burger comes together with just a few ingredients, but don’t forget to add a big pat of butter before shaping the patties for incredible flavor.
- Ground beef — I like to use 80/20 ground beef for these keto butter burgers, and whenever I use ground beef in a recipe. That means it’s 80 percent lean and 20 percent fat. The extra fat content is helpful for the keto diet. Plus, it makes the burgers super juicy. No dry burgers here!
- Bragg Aminos — The flavors of soy sauce substitute go great with a burger. I like using Bragg Aminos, as it’s gluten-free and packed with umami goodness. If you are avoiding soy, I recommend going with coconut aminos.
- Butter — You can’t have a butter burger without the butter! Adding butter to the middle of your hamburger patties keeps the meat juicy, makes it taste delicious and helps you meet your fat goals for the day.
- Garlic — A touch of garlic to burgers adds a depth of savory flavor that you can’t get with just salt and pepper.
How to make this Butter Burger recipe:
Step 1: In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except for butter and mix thoroughly.
Step 2: After the burger mixture is combined, score the mixture with your hand making a cross to make it easier to divide the meat evenly so that all burgers are the same size. With each of the four sections, make four equal-sized burgers.
Step 3: Press one tbsp of butter into the center of each burger, then cover the butter completely with the burger mixture making sure no butter is showing.
Note: You can also make smaller burgers by dividing the mixture into eight equal portions and using 1/2 tbsp of butter per burger. This would cut nutritional information in half.
Step 4: If cooking on a grill, grill for approximately 7-8 min on each side, depending on the temp of your grill and desired doneness. The added fat may cause flare-ups on the grill, so make sure to watch closely. If cooking in a pan, cook on medium heat for approximately 8-9 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. If you are like me and prefer your burger well done, you’ll cook it much longer depending on the grill or stove temperature.
Step 5: After taking your keto butter burgers off the grill, add all of your favorite toppings. I love eating a butter burger with red onion, tomato, and some greens. You could even wrap them in lettuce or make your own keto-friendly buns.
Should I use butter or olive oil for cooking my burgers?
After all, since these are butter burgers, I grease my pan with butter when I cook these on the stove. If you’re cooking them on the grill, you shouldn’t grease the grates. The heat of the grill will cause the butter or oil to smoke and result in flare-ups.
How do you know your burgers are cooked?
If you want to be specific about the doneness of your burger, you can check the internal temperature to ensure they are cooked to your liking. For medium-rare burgers, you want to reach 145 degrees Fahrenheit. If you want medium well, aim for 150 degrees. For well done (how I like them), 160 degrees is the sweet spot.
What should I serve with a keto butter burger?
Here are a few keto side dishes that would pair great with butter burgers:
- Easy Marinated Keto Coleslaw
- Keto Broccoli Salad
- Keto Air Fried Roasted Green Beans
- Low Carb Roasted Vegetables
More Keto Beef Recipes
If you aren’t already following my Easy Keto/Low Carb Recipe Page on Facebook, where I post all my new recipes, you can join here and follow me on Pinterest here. I prepare and share many great recipes here, but the groups offer a large variety shared by many of our members. For my own favorite recipes, check out our links below.
- Keto Crockpot Beef Stew
- 20 Delicious Keto Beef Recipes
- Keto Beef & Veggie Stir Fry
- Keto Instant Pot Pot Roast Recipe
Keto Butter Burgers
- 2 lbs 80/20 hamburger meat
- 2 tbs Braggs Aminos (use coconut aminos if avoiding soy)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except for butter and mix thoroughly.
- After the burger mixture is combined, score the mixture with your hand making a cross to make it easier to divide the meat evenly so that all burgers are the same size.
- With each of the four sections, make four equal-sized burgers.
- Press one tbsp of butter into the center of each burger, then cover the butter completely with the burger mixture making sure no butter is showing.
- If cooking on a grill, grill for approximately 7-8 min on each side depending on the temp of your grill and desired doneness. The added fat may cause flare-ups on the grill, so make sure to watch closely. If cooking in a pan, cook on med for approximately 8-9 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. If you are like me and prefer your burger well done, you'll cook it much longer depending on the grill or stove temperature.
- Garnish burger with your favorite toppings.
Tips for ketogenic diet newbies
If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, many fantastic resources are available. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here. I also posted a great list of Best Keto Resources for Newbies that are very helpful.