These Healthy Low Carb Breakfast Burritos are an easy, and homemade make-ahead breakfast idea to add to your meal prep menu! Stuffed with eggs, bacon, and cheese, they are delicious and freezer friendly!
Healthy Make-Ahead Low Carb Breakfast Burritos for Meal Prep
These make-ahead burritos are the best for busy mornings when you need something filling but don’t have the time to make a lavish breakfast. If you like effortless meal prep as I do, chances are you’re looking for something pre-made and easy to reheat the next morning. These homemade cheesy, bacon, and egg burritos are it!
Are Burritos Keto?
Regular burritos are not keto or low carb friendly; however, low carb burritos are an excellent alternative for those following a low carb lifestyle. They do contain wheat, so they would not be considered strict keto, but I eat them occasionally and stay in ketosis.
What Is In A Breakfast Burrito
There is no right or wrong way to make a breakfast burrito. As long as there are eggs and low carb tortillas, the rest is up to you. Here are ingredients you can add in your burrito:
- scrambled eggs
- bacon, ham, sausage
I love being creative with my burritos, but with four kids, I prefer a simple, hearty breakfast, which is why I chose to make this burrito recipe with just a few staple ingredients; Eggs, bacon, and cheese.
How To Make Low Carb Breakfast Burritos
As I mentioned, these burrito wraps are not 100% keto-friendly because many who follow a strict keto diet avoid wheat; however, they ARE low carb! If you avoid grains on keto, this would be the perfect recipe to try for a “cheat day” without having carb-overload.
I used a brand that has just 16 grams of carbs with 11 grams of fiber, making them only 5 grams of net carbs. (Check out the brand in my recipe below.) Some tortillas can contain up to 26 grams of carbs, so compare labels at the grocery store if you can’t find the brand I used.
To make this easy burrito, get your ingredients prepared first. You will need to pre-cook your eggs and bacon. Also, have your tortillas ready to go.
You can choose any tortilla you like but look for the low carb variety if you’re sticking to a semi-keto friendly diet. They have so many tortilla options in the store, so find one you like best that suits your dietary needs.
Next, take your scrambled egg mixture, shredded cheese, and crumbled bacon and add to the center of each tortilla. You want to be generous with your filling but not too generous, so you can’t roll your burritos.
Tip: In this recipe, I used sharp cheddar cheese and white cheddar cheese, but feel free to use any other cheese that you prefer.
Roll each burrito and place seam side down in a casserole dish. Sprinkle more bacon and cheese over top of the burritos and bake. (See directions in the recipe card at the bottom of this post for the temperature and time.)
Enjoy them while they’re hot! They are so easy to make, and I love that they are a healthy breakfast that my kids love. It’s a great way to start the day. If you want to change it up a little and pack an extra punch of flavor try adding this homemade keto enchilada sauce on them!
Meal prepping? Keep reading to see how to reheat your burritos from the fridge or freezer for this easy low carb breakfast recipe.
How To Roll (or wrap) A Breakfast Burrito
Rolling a burrito is not hard to do; it just needs to be tight enough, so the filling does not fall out when you eat it. In this egg and bacon burrito casserole, I did not tuck the ends in, but you will want to do this if you plan on eating the burrito with your hands.
Step 1: Place the filling (eggs, meat, cheese, veggies) in the center of your burrito.
Step 2: If making a hand-held burrito, fold the left and right sides of the burrito inward, slightly overlapping the filling. If making a burrito casserole as I did in this recipe, you do not need to fold the sides in since you will be eating these with a fork and knife.
Step 3: Then start to roll by tucking the bottom of the tortilla underneath the filling and, while keeping the sides folded inward, roll until nice and tight.
How To Make Healthy Low Carb Breakfast Burritos Ahead of Time
You have a few options here for low carb breakfast meal prep.
If you are planning on eating them the next day, assemble the burritos fully and simply cover them with foil and place the entire casserole dish in the fridge. Then follow the instructions below on time and temp.
Or you can bake them right away for meal prep.
For individual storage, wait until the tortillas are cool enough to handle and wrap each tightly in a plastic wrap. (See image above.) Then store individually wrapped burritos in the fridge for 4-5 days or up to 3 months in the freezer.
For bulk storage, add 4-5 burritos to a large freezer bag and store in the fridge or freezer.
How To Reheat Individual (Pre-Baked) Low Carb Burritos
These baked burritos are both fridge AND freezer-friendly. Depending on how you store them will determine how you reheat them.
Reheating Individual Breakfast Burritos From The Fridge:
You have two options here:
- In the microwave: Remove plastic wrap and wrap each individual burrito in a damp paper towel then microwave in 30-second intervals until it reaches the desired temperature. The damp paper towel will keep the tortilla from drying out and becoming rubbery.
- In the oven: Remove plastic wrap and wrap each burrito in aluminum foil. Heat in a 350 degree F oven for 9-13 minutes or until heated through.
Reheating Individual Breakfast Burritos From The Freezer:
- In the microwave: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap and wrap each individual burrito in a damp paper towel then microwave in 30-second intervals until it reaches the desired temperature. The damp paper towel will keep the tortilla from drying out and becoming rubbery.
- In the oven: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Remove plastic wrap and wrap each burrito in aluminum foil. Heat in a 350 degree F oven for 15– 20 minutes or until heated through. The baking time will vary based on how much the burritos thawed in the fridge overnight.
Reheating Low Carb Breakfast Burrito Casserole From The Freezer:
- In the oven: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Keep the baking dish covered with foil. Heat in a 350 degree F oven for 15– 20 minutes or until heated through then remove foil and bake an additional 5-7 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. The baking time will vary based on how much the burritos thawed in the fridge overnight.
Are Breakfast Burritos Healthy?
Yes, if you are smart about making them! You can lower the carbs by choosing the correct tortilla brand and fill your burrito with smart ingredients. Tortillas aren’t considered to be strict keto since they contain wheat, but they make a fantastic low carb breakfast, and the filling is high in fat, so you can be sure you’ll stay full all morning long!
Recipes for Low Carb Breakfast:
- 20 Perfect Keto Breakfast Recipes
- Healthy Southwest Breakfast Cups
- Keto Breakfast Casserole with Sausage
- Low Carb Breakfast Cheesy Egg Bacon Casserole
- Low Carb Breakfast Ideas That Aren’t Eggs
- Low Carb Breakfast Hash
- Bacon and Egg Cups
Healthy Low Carb Breakfast Burritos (Make Ahead for Meal Prep)
Healthy Low Carb Breakfast Burritos (Make Ahead for Meal Prep)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb bacon
- 7 low carb tortillas (I used La Banderita brand)
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Grease a 9X13 casserole dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Fry bacon on the stove or bake in the oven (whichever method you prefer). When done, drain and set aside to cool. When the bacon has cooled, crumble into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium-sized skillet ( I used a 10.25 inch cast iron) melt butter.
- In a bowl, crack eggs and add heavy whipping cream, salt, and pepper. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet and scramble eggs. Remove from heat right before they get done and continue stirring as they will continue to cook, but removing from the heat will prevent them from overcooking.
- In a low carb tortilla, spoon eggs down the middle follow with bacon and freshly shredded cheddar cheese. Roll low carb burritos and place seam side down in a casserole dish. (Reserve 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese and some of the crumbled bacon to use as toppings for the burritos in the casserole dish before baking.)
- Repeat the above step until the casserole dish is full. (I used seven burritos, but I left one out for meal prep photo). Sprinkle 1/4 cup white cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese on top of the burritos and sprinkle a handful of the crumbled bacon on top.
- You can cover and put in the fridge and bake the next morning. If so, bake covered for 15 minutes, then remove foil and bake for an additional 5-7 min or until heated all the way through and cheese is melted on top. If baking immediately, bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated all the way through. Enjoy!