I love Chicken Parmesan, but I don’t love all the fat and calories, so I thought I’d come up with a new recipe that is a healthier version. Plus, with a newborn in the house, I don’t have time to cook recipes that require a lot of steps. I used a slow cooker to prepare this recipe, and it turned out fantastic! I didn’t oven fry the chicken or include breadcrumbs as I needed this recipe to be as healthy and easy as possible. My entire family loved it. In fact, my two years old ate two helpings.
I served the Chicken Parmesan over spaghetti squash with roasted asparagus and broccoli. If you’ve never prepared spaghetti squash, here is a step by step tutorial with pictures that is helpful. I used a jar of spaghetti sauce in this recipe, but homemade spaghetti sauce would be amazing. I’ve got a super easy recipe here.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 jar organic spaghetti sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes, Italian style
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- alignnone size-full" title="chickenparm5edit" />
- Cover chicken with next 5 ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
chickenis done, spoon spaghetti sauce into a greased casserole dish.
- Place cooked chicken breasts on top of spaghetti sauce. (Chicken may
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese on top of chicken breasts.
- Turn oven on broil and place chicken on the top rack of the oven.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes or until the mozzarella cheese begins to brown.
- Serve on either spaghetti squash or whole grain noodles.