You probably know how popular spaghetti squash is for the keto diet. Knowing How to Roast Spaghetti Squash is a must if you are going to be adding it to your meal plan. It is so versatile and a great way to feel like you are eating pasta without all of the carbs!
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
I admit I wasn’t sure what to expect. I kept seeing all these recipes on Pinterest with spaghetti squash instead of noodles and I thought surely these people had lost their minds. There is no way that spaghetti squash is good, much less as good as noodles. But, in our quest to eat healthier I was willing to give it a try.
I have to admit I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually loved it! Spaghetti Squash has a rich peppery flavor and is so easy to roast. I’ve included step-by-step directions below for how to roast spaghetti squash.
Prepare the spaghetti squash
1. Wash spaghetti squash then poke holes and microwave for 5 min. (Thanks to helpful friends for this tip, otherwise you’ll feel like you might lose a finger in step 2).
2. Cut in half and scrape out the seeds (like a cantaloupe).
3. Brush lightly with olive oil, and salt and pepper.
4. Turn face down and bake at 400 degrees until tender about 30-45 min depending on size of spaghetti squash.
5.The outside will brown a little like this. When you scrape out the inside it looks like noodles.
Recipes using spaghetti squash
You can easily eat spaghetti squash just by itself. However, it is used most often in recipes as a base for sauces. We’ve used spaghetti squash in tons of ways now, and have fallen in love with how delicious it is as a base for pasta sauces! Our Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats is a favorite recipe that is kid-friendly and delicious. You could easily add our Italian Meatball Casserole as an option to serve with spaghetti squash. It has tons of flavor and would be a perfect pairing to this delicious “noodle” vegetable.
More Keto Friendly Recipes
We love using this method for how to roast spaghetti squash, but there are tons of other great keto-friendly recipes. Casseroles are a great option on the keto diet. You may be surprised to hear that, but in fact, they are ideal for prepping ahead. Keto casseroles can be a great option for planning your meals for the week in advance. Kids love them, and so do you! Below are some of our favorite keto casserole ideas!
- 20 Easy Keto Casserole Recipes
- Low Carb Chicken Casserole
- Keto BBQ Chicken Casserole
- Hot Ham & Cheese “UnWhich” Casserole
- Keto Pizza Casserole