Keto Buffalo Wings
Everyone loves these Keto Buffalo Wings! This grilled chicken wing recipe is just what you want on hand for game days or parties with friends and family. They are so simple, delicious, and perfect for your keto/low-carb diet.
Best Grilled Keto Buffalo Wings
Football season is about to roll around, and with that comes buffalo wings on Saturdays and Sundays! Buffalo wings are a party, game day, and get-together staple in the fall, so I knew I had to make them keto. These are the best keto buffalo wings; my hubby and kids loved them! They are sure to become a crowd favorite at your next event!
Are Traditional Buffalo Wings Keto?
Technically no, traditional buffalo wings are coated in flower, fried, and tossed in buffalo sauce. When following a keto/low carb diet, one avoids carbs that come from flour as much as possible. However, this recipe forgoes the breading process, so these grilled buffalo wings are definitely keto-friendly. They will quickly make your weekly dinner rotation.
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Chicken wings —You can’t make chicken wings without the chicken! When making this recipe, I use 2 lbs of chicken with a mix of drums and wings; however, the type of chicken you use is completely up to you.
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce — This sauce is the perfect base for the buffalo sauce to toss your wings in. It is low in carbs, packs a punch but does not overpower the flavor of the grilled wings.
- Butter — Butter adds fat and flavor to this recipe.
- White vinegar — Vinegar brings out the flavor of the hot sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce — This little sauce packs a punch and adds umami to this dish. Its flavor profile adds an extra bit of flavor to these keto buffalo wings.
- Cayenne pepper and garlic powder — Take the heat a little further with some cayenne pepper! You can omit this if you’re not as into spice. Garlic powder complements the savory and spicy flavors perfectly.
Below you’ll find a step-by-step pictorial for those who prefer visuals. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the recipe card with the detailed ingredients and instructions.
Step 1: Set your wings out on a plate and pat dry with a paper towel; the drier your wings are, the crispier they will be. Add the seasonings and a small dash of baking powder. If you are using a charcoal grill, set the charcoal in a pyramid shape and light. Allow the charcoal to heat up so that wings will be thoroughly cooked and are crispy on the outside. If you are using a gas grill, turn it on medium heat.
Tip: Adding baking powder does not affect the taste or the carb count of the wings; however, it does make the wing crispier.
Step 2: Once the grill has heated, arrange the chicken wings indirectly over the coals. If you place them above the coals, they are more likely to burn outside but remain undercooked. Place the wings on the grill, crowding them together. This will allow your meat to steam so that the chicken remains moist through the grilling process. Cook for 15-20 minutes, rotating your wings halfway through. Cook time may vary depending on the size of your wings, so before you pull them off the grill, use a meat thermometer and make sure the wings are 165 degrees.
Step 3: While the wings are grilling, in a bowl, combine the buffalo sauce ingredients. Once the wings have cooked through, baste the keto buffalo wings generously with the sauce. If you prefer your wings to be super spicier, try adding red pepper flakes, a different kind of hot sauce, cayenne pepper, and/or fresh habanero chili peppers finely minced. Remove the wings from the grill, and enjoy!
How to Break Down Chicken Wings?
You can buy party wings at the grocery store, which are already broken down, typically frozen, and include the drumette and flat. However, buying the whole wing is often fresher and cheaper! To break down a chicken wing, find the joint that connects the drumette and flat. To do this, wiggle the wing, and where it moves is the joint. Cut the joint directly, and this will easily separate them. If touching raw meat grosses you out, wear gloves.
How to Make Keto-Friendly Buffalo Wing Sauce?
Making homemade buffalo sauce is super easy! First, add the butter to a bowl and melt. Add vinegar, Worcester sauce, and Frank’s red hot sauce to the melted butter and stir. If you prefer your buffalo sauce to be spicier, add cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes!
Can you make these wings more or less spicy?
Absolutely! If you want your wings to be less spicy, back off the hot sauce and cayenne pepper you add to the sauce. If you want a spicier sauce, you can add cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and paprika. You can also change up the flavor of these keto buffalo wings! If you prefer lemon pepper, find a keto-friendly lemon pepper sauce or seasoning instead. Make these wings how you like them!
What Should I Serve my Keto Buffalo Wings with?
Traditionally, wings are served with celery sticks with a side of ranch and/or blue cheese dressing. Both of these dressings are low carb so that you can dip your wings in them guilt-free! You can also serve your wings with some of my favorite ketos sides, such as air-fried broccoli, low-carb roasted vegetables, and keto grilled bacon-wrapped asparagus.
Do you have to grill these keto buffalo wings?
If you do not have a grill or it is raining, you can also bake the wings. To do this, lay a wire rack over a baking sheet, so the grease of the wing drains off. Lay the wings on the wire rack and bake on 350 until the wings reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If you prefer, you can also use an air fryer for the wings. Preheat the air fryer to 350 and cook until the hot wings reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Store these Wings?
To store leftover keto buffalo chicken wings, put them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, place the wings in the oven or air fryer so that they are crispy!
More Keto Chicken Recipies
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Air Fryer Marinated Chicken Breasts
- Keto Baked Chicken Thighs
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Tenders
If you aren’t already following my Easy Keto/Low Carb Recipe Page on Facebook, where I post all my new recipes, you can join me here and follow me on Pinterest here.
Many fantastic resources are available if you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here.
How to Make Keto Chicken Wings:
Keto Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2/3 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch baking powder
- Arrange the charcoal in your grill in a pyramid shape and light/allow it to heat up. If you are using a gas grill, simply turn on medium.
- While the grill is dry the chicken and season with salt, garlic powder, and baking powder.
- Once the coals are heated through, arrange the chicken wings on the outer portion of the grill so they are not directly above the coals. Crowd the wings together so that they steam and remain moist through the grilling process.
- While the wings are grilling in a large bowl melt butter, and then combine the buffalo sauce ingredients.
- Cook the wings for 15-20 minutes, flipping the wings halfway through.
- Once the wings have cooked through, baste with buffalo sauce.
- Remove from the grill once the wings have reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit and enjoy!
Enjoy these Low Carb Chicken Wings!
Wings are white meat.
They have all kinds of nasty veins in them and look like dark meat. lol
I’m SO glad I’m not the only one who thinks the exact same way lol
Thanks for receipt
How can I d this in oven
And the temperature please
I don’t know. I haven’t made them in the oven.
You want to bake them in the oven at 400-425 until good and crispy! It may vary 20 to 40 min.
Baking wings results in a lit of splattering at 400. Just be aware!
Hi! I bake them in the oven at 400 for 20 min!
Great! Sounds like a plan.
Can we not just use the franks wing sauce ??
When you are cooking in your kitchen it is totally up to you what you use. If you prefer Franks and it works for you then go for it. 🙂
I’ve never made wings on the grill. Those look awesome!
Can you cook them in an air fryer? I bought one and have never used it.
I’m sure you could. I don’t have exact cooking times to help though.
I put them frozen in my T-Fal air fryer for 30 minutes. Mix the sauce and pour it right on them. Turned out perfect!