These Low Carb Roasted Vegetables make a simple and delicious side dish that pairs nicely with just about any meat, especially during the grilling season. I also included a list of the best keto-friendly veggies for roasting. These keto roasted vegetables are the most delicious way to eat veggies while keeping things low carb!
KETO ROASTED VEGETABLES: DELICIOUS & EASY SIDE DISH
I love eating fresh vegetables. They taste fantastic when they’re in season, but they are so versatile and can be prepared in many different ways. I believe that anyone who claims to dislike them just hasn’t experienced a well-prepared veggie! I am definitely partial to veggie cooking methods, such as roasting.
Roasted veggies are healthy and easy to make. We often serve them with grilled burgers, steaks, chicken, pork chops, or beef dishes such as steak, especially in the warmer months. Plus, with so many people living the Keto lifestyle now, this keto side dish brings a little variety to meals.
Roasting veggies makes them tender on the inside and gives them color and caramelization on the outside for the ultimate flavor. The roasting process is as easy as any sheet pan meal — all you need to do is coat the vegetables in a marinade, roast them to perfection, and enjoy!
- Broccoli Florets
- Brussel sprouts
- Red onions – Adds a bit of sweetness to the roasted veggies
- Yellow and red bell peppers – when roasted together, the flavors of the yellow and red bell pepper enhance each other
- Lakanto Monkfruit Classic – The subtle sweetness from the Lakanto Monkfruit Classic helps balance the acidity of the red wine vinegar. Many salad dressings include sugar, and the sweetness here functions the same way. It gives the marinade just the right flavor and brings out the natural sugars in the keto roasted vegetables.
- Olive oil and red wine vinegar – This combination is the base of the marinade. Vinegar works very well when making any roasted vegetable. Feel free to mix it up with other kinds if desired. Balsamic, white wine and champagne vinegar would work great in this recipe. If desired, avocado oil can be subbed for olive oil.
- Seasonings – Ms. Dash Garlic and Herb is a blend of seasonings that brings out the flavor in roasted vegetables. You could also use individual seasonings such as rosemary, thyme, and sea salt.
Steps for making keto roasted veggies:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Chop vegetables to approximately the same size. Place in a large bowl.
Step 2: Prepare the marinade by adding all of the ingredients (oil, vinegar, sweetener, and seasonings) to a small bowl and stirring until combined. Next, pour the marinade on top of the vegetables and stir until the marinade is distributed evenly.
Note: The teaspoon of sweetener is used to offset the vinegar in a store-bought Italian dressing. The roasted veggies won’t taste sweet.
Step 4: Pour the veggies onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper. If you don’t use parchment paper, make sure to grease your sheet pan to ensure the veggies and marinade do not stick.
Bake for 12 min on the top rack. Then, stir carefully on the baking pan. Once done, move to the middle rack for 12 more minutes; if you prefer your vegetables to be more tender, roast for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Finally, you’re ready to enjoy your delicious roasted veggies! For a fun pop of flavor, squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on the veggies before serving for a delicious punch of flavor.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE VERY BEST LOW CARB ROASTED VEGETABLES
- Set the oven to a high temperature
- Roast in a single layer on a sheet pan or cookie sheet, then flip halfway through cooking.
- Use a generous amount of olive oil combined with flavorful spices, vinegar, and a tad of sugar-free sweetener to offset the vinegar. (They won’t taste sweet.)
- Experiment with your favorite seasonings to change the taste
WHAT ARE THE BEST KETO-FRIENDLY VEGGIES TO USE FOR ROASTING?
You can use various veggies to suit your taste buds when making low-carb roasted vegetables. Keto-friendly veggies are typically the ones found above ground. Root vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots have more carbs than veggies like peppers, lettuce, and cauliflower.
Tip: When you’re roasting veggies, you want to choose ones that can withstand the heat and won’t wilt quickly. I clean out all of the veggies in my produce drawer at the end of the week and throw them together for a delicious low-carb side dish; a bonus is that we don’t waste produce. With the current cost of groceries, it’s an easy way to save money.
The keto-friendly veggies that I used in this recipe are listed below:
- brussels sprouts
- red pepper
- purple onion
- red pepper
- yellow bell pepper
Other veggies you could also include could be cauliflower, fresh green beans, green bell peppers, sliced turnips, and mushrooms. Keto roasted vegetables are a fantastic way to clear out your fridge and use up veggies before they go bad!
WHAT TEMPERATURE IS BEST TO ROAST VEGETABLES?
High temperatures are best when roasting vegetables as it gives the outside a nice crisp texture without turning the inside into a mushy mess. (no one likes that, right?) They’ll still have a good flavor if you cook vegetables low and slow, but the texture won’t be as favorable. High temps are best when roasting vegetables!
HOW DO YOU MAKE ROAST VEGETABLES CRISPY?
To get that crispness, you need to do a couple of things. First, have the temperature set for high heat so that it crips the outside. Next, spread the veggies on a baking sheet in a single layer to roast evenly. Stacking them up on top of each other will cause them to roast unevenly due to uneven heat distribution. If they are too close together, they will steam rather than roast. Too much steam will result in limp vegetables instead of crisp ones.
HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP ROASTED VEGETABLES?
Eating low-carb roasted vegetables right out of the oven will deliver the best texture and flavor, but they will keep 3-4 days in the fridge. Reheat and eat during that time frame, but don’t plan on freezing as they don’t tend to freeze well.
HOW TO REHEAT ROASTED VEGETABLES
While microwaving works, you’ll get the best results if you can lay them on a baking sheet in a single layer and reheat them at 450 degrees until they are hot.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KETO ROASTED VEGETABLES
These low-carb main dishes would pair perfectly with these low-carb roasted vegetables!
Other Low Carb Side Dishes:
Don’t Miss Any New Recipes
If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, many fantastic resources are available. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here.
Low Carb Keto Roasted Vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop vegetables to approximately the same size. Place in a large bowl.
- Prepare the marinade by adding all ingredients to a small bowl and stirring until combined. Next, pour the marinade on top of the vegetables and stir until the marinade is evenly distributed. **The teaspoon of sweetener is used to offset the vinegar as you'd see in a store-bought Italian dressing. The roasted veggies won't taste sweet.
- Pour veggies on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper (or, if you don’t use parchment paper, a greased sheet pan)
- Bake for 12 min on the top rack. Then, stir carefully on the baking pan. Once done, move to the middle rack for 12 more minutes; if you prefer your vegetables to be more tender roast, for 5-10 minutes longer.