Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
I absolutely love homemade chicken noodle soup. We are snowed in here in Tennessee, so I thought it would be the perfect lunch to help warm us up after playing in the snow. Since I knew we’d be snowed in today, I threw a whole chicken in the crock pot last night so it would be ready today. Homemade broth makes such a difference and is so much more flavorful than bullion cubes. I did add two additional cartons of organic chicken broth so that we would have leftovers. I’ve included the step by step recipe below. Don’t be overwhelmed by the list of ingredients, it really was easy to make
We are on day 24 of our AdvoCare 24-Day Challenge and wanted to finish strong, so this recipe is AdvoCare Challenge friendly. It takes a little time to chop the veggies, but it’s so worth it in the long run. I made a huge pot, so now I’ve got lunch for the rest of the week.
For more AdvoCare 24-Day Challenge Recipes click here.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- water to cover chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cartons chicken broth (I used organic) + homemade broth from cooking the chicken
- cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package whole grain wide noodles (12oz)
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, make broth by placing whole chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add onion, celery stalks, and carrots to flavor the broth. It's not necessary to chop these as they will be discarded with the bones.
- Cover with water, add salt and pepper. Cook for 8 hours on low.
- Remove chicken, and return bones to slow cooker.
- Fill slow cooker to the top with water, cook bones on high for 4 hours to render a more flavorful broth.
- In large stock pot saute onion, celery, and carrots in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until tender.
- Strain homemade broth, add to stock pot along with 2 cartons of chicken broth.
- Add spices, bring to soup mixture to a boil.
- Dump noodles into broth, simmer on low for 7 minutes.
- Add chopped cooked chicken, I prefer to use just the white meat.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!