Get ready for a comforting and guilt-free dessert with this delicious Sugar Free Hot Chocolate. We use unsweetened almond milk, creamy heavy whipping cream, healthy keto chocolate chips, rich cocoa powder, and keto-friendly sweetener for this easy, low-carb hot chocolate alternative to the traditional favorite.
Sugar Free Hot Chocolate: A Delicious and Healthy Alternative
You’ll absolutely love this recipe for quick, easy, and delicious crock pot sugar-free hot chocolate. First and foremost, it’s so convenient and easy to make – you toss a few ingredients into your trusty crock pot, set it, and forget it!
Plus, who doesn’t love the comforting smell of warm chocolate filling their home? And the best part? This recipe is entirely sugar-free, perfect for those looking to enjoy a guilt-free treat without compromising taste on their Keto or low-carb diet. You won’t believe how incredibly rich and creamy it turns out, even without the added sugar! So grab your favorite mug and indulge in this delicious and comforting treat.
Ingredients For Low Carb Hot Chocolate
Unsweetened almond milk: Provides a creamy base and liquid texture, as opposed to hot water.
Heavy whipping cream: Adds richness and creaminess.
Keto chocolate chips: The main source of chocolate flavor and sweetness.
Vanilla extract: Enhances the chocolate flavor and adds aroma.
Unsweetened cocoa powder: Boosts the chocolate intensity.
Wholesome Yum Monkfruit with Allulose Blend: Sweetens the sugar-free hot chocolate recipe without sugar, maintaining the keto-friendly aspect.
How to Make Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe with Almond Milk
Step 1: Add the almond milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and granulated monk fruit blend with Allulose to a crockpot and whisk to combine well. This may take a few minutes, as the cocoa powder can be difficult to blend.
The combination of these ingredients gives your hot chocolate a rich and creamy texture that you’ll absolutely love.
Step 2: Next, add the keto chocolate chips to the mixture. These special chocolate chips are made with natural sweeteners, perfect for limiting sugar intake. As they melt, their rich chocolate flavor will infuse into the hot chocolate, making it truly irresistible.
Step 3: Cover the crockpot and cook on low for two hours.
Step 3: Remove the lid, stir to combine, and serve immediately. Garnish with whipped cream and any other desired toppings.
Top Tips to Make this Recipe
- Choose The Right Sweetener: One of the most important factors in making sugar-free hot chocolate is choosing the right sweetener. I prefer monkfruit blend with allulose, but you can also use such as Stevia, Swerve, Lakanto Monkfruit, etc. **
- Mixing the Hot Chocolate: Use a whisk to combine the ingredients before turning on the crockpot. This will help to ensure that the ingredients are evenly distributed and that the chocolate melts smoothly.
- Cook Evenly: Set the crockpot to low heat and cook the hot chocolate for at least 2 hours. This will give the flavors time to develop and the chocolate time to melt completely.
- Stir Often: Stir the hot chocolate every 30-45 minutes. This will help to prevent the chocolate from settling on the bottom of the crockpot, and it will also help to create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Don’t overcook Your Hot Chocolate: Overcooking can make your hot chocolate bitter or cause the milk to scorch or curdle.
- Test The Sweetness: Taste the hot chocolate before serving and adjust the sweetness to your liking. You can add more keto-friendly sweeteners or a splash of unsweetened heavy cream or coconut milk for extra richness.
- Add A Pinch of Salt: A small pinch of salt can help enhance the overall flavor and balance the sweetness.
** If you aren’t eating Keto and are looking for a healthy hot chocolate alternative without cane sugar, you may prefer natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this hot chocolate recipe without a crock pot?
Absolutely! While using a crock pot allows for a hands-off approach and helps keep the hot chocolate warm for longer, you can also make this recipe on the stovetop. Here’s how you can do it in just a few simple steps:
- In a saucepan, whisk together 5 cups of unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, and a 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder until the cocoa powder is fully dissolved.
- Add a 1/2 cup of the monk fruit blend with allulose sweetener and 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and whisk to combine.
- Pour sugar-free chocolate chips into the saucepan and stir.
- Place the saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Whisk the hot chocolate mixture constantly until it starts to boil.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes. This will help thicken the hot chocolate and intensify the flavor. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool for a minute or two. Pour the hot chocolate into a mug and enjoy!
Is Keto Hot Chocolate Good For You?
Keto hot chocolate can be a part of a healthy keto diet, but it is important to choose low-carb ingredients and limit your intake, considering your personal health and weight loss goals.
If you eat gluten-free, the ingredients in this recipe do not contain gluten. Make sure to check the ingredients you use in your kitchen.
Can I double or halve the recipe?
Absolutely! You can easily adjust the recipe based on your needs. To make a larger batch, double the ingredient quantities. If you only want a few servings, halve the measurements. Remember that the cooking time might vary slightly with larger or smaller quantities.
Can I use a different kind of milk instead of almond milk?
Of course! If you don’t have or don’t prefer almond milk, feel free to use any other unsweetened milk alternative, like coconut milk, macadamia, or cashew milk. The taste may vary slightly, but it will still result in a creamy and tasty hot chocolate.
What Kind Of Sweetener Can I Use In Keto Hot Chocolate?
There are a variety of keto-friendly sweeteners that you can use in your keto hot chocolate, such as stevia, monk fruit, allulose, and erythritol. Choose a sweetener that you enjoy the taste of, and that fits your dietary needs.
Can I adjust the sweetness level of the hot chocolate?
Absolutely! If you find the hot chocolate too sweet or not sweet enough, you can adjust the sweetness by adding more or less of the sugar substitute. Taste-test the hot chocolate and adjust until it reaches your desired sweetness level.
Where can I find keto chocolate chips?
Keto chocolate chips are found in most health food or specialty grocery stores. Alternatively, you can also order them online through various retailers. Just check the ingredient list and choose chocolate chips that are sweetened with a keto-friendly sweetener like Stevia or Erythritol.
How Many Carbs Does Sugar-Free Hot Cocoa Have?
The number of carbs in sugar-free hot cocoa is calculated by subtracting the grams of fiber (7 for this recipe) from the total carbs (13 for this recipe), which equals 6 grams of net carbs per serving.
How Do I Thicken Keto Hot Chocolate?
Heavy cream or coconut cream can be used to thicken keto hot chocolate without starch or sugar.
What Are The Best Ways To Enhance The Flavor Of Keto Hot Chocolate?
You can enhance the flavor with a pinch of salt, a dash of vanilla extract, or a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg.
Can I make this hot chocolate ahead of time and reheat it later?
Yes, you can prepare the hot chocolate ahead of time and reheat it when needed. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When ready to reheat, warm it on the stovetop or in the microwave, stirring occasionally until heated throughout.
Storage And Reheating Instructions
If you have leftover low-carb hot chocolate, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When ready to enjoy it again, reheat it on the stove or microwave.
Stovetop: Pour your cold hot chocolate into a small saucepan and heat it over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it is warm and steaming.
Microwave: Transfer your cold hot chocolate to a microwave-safe mug or bowl and heat it in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until it is warm and steaming.
Slow cooker: Pour the cold mixture into the slow cooker and heat it on low for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until it is warm and steaming.
Variations To This Recipe
If you want to add some variety to your sugar-free hot chocolate, there are plenty of ways. Here are some ideas for variations to this recipe:
Add Some Flavor – While this recipe is delicious on its own, you can add some extra flavors to make it even better. Try adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract for a classic chocolate flavor. Add a pinch of cinnamon or chili powder if you like a little spice. For a festive twist, add a drop or two of peppermint extract.
Sweeten It Up – If you want a sweeter hot chocolate, add a little sugar-free caramel syrup, sugar-free creamer, or more of your favorite sweetener.
Make It Creamy – For a creamier hot chocolate, swap the almond milk for more heavy whipping cream or unsweetened coconut cream. This will give your drink a richer, more decadent flavor.
Top It Off – No hot chocolate is complete without toppings! Add sugar-free marshmallows for a classic touch, or sprinkle a little sea salt on top for a sweet and salty combination. You can also make sugar-free whipped cream using heavy cream and a natural sweetener like stevia.
Dairy-Free Option – To make the sugar-free hot chocolate recipe dairy-free, substitute the unsweetened coconut or almond milk for the heavy whipping cream and BHU Foods Keto Dairy-free chocolate chips for Lily’s chocolate chips.
More Keto Dessert Recipes:
- Keto Chocolate Skillet Cake
- Keto Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bites
- Delicious Keto Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Friendly Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate
- Healthy Keto Pumpkin Spice Latte
Continuing your low-carb or keto journey doesn’t mean sacrificing your favorite sweets and desserts. You can indulge guilt-free with simple, comforting recipes like keto hot cocoa. Enjoy!!
Crockpot Sugar Free Hot Chocolate
- Add the almond milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, cocoa powder, and Wholesome Yum Monkfruit with Allulose Blend to a crockpot, and whisk to combine well. This may take a few minutes, as the cocoa powder can be hard to blend.5 C. Unsweetened almond milk, 1 C. Heavy whipping cream, ¼ C. Unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ C. Wholesome Yum Monkfruit Blend with Allulose, 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Pour in the chocolate chips.1 C. Keto chocolate chips
- Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Remove the lid from the crockpot and stir to combine the ingredients.
- Serve the hot chocolate immediately. Garnish with sugar-free marshmallows, whipped cream, and a dusting of unsweetened cocoa.