Making this Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup Instant Pot Recipe is one of my favorite ways to make a cold evening better. Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a delicious option that brings all the comfort food flavors home without wrecking the keto diet. This easy and delicious recipe has no flour and is gluten-free.
Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup Instant Pot Recipe
I love Chicken Pot Pie. It is one of my favorite comfort foods. Evidently, others feel the same way because my Keto Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is one of my most popular recipes. With the weather cooling down, I thought I’d tweak my recipe just a bit and transform it into a low-carb soup recipe.
It turned out so delicious and comforting. I only used 1/2 a cup of mixed veggies to look and taste like Chicken Pot Pie. However, if you’d rather make it a little more keto-friendly, you could use other veggies that are more low carb, like zucchini, green beans, and broccoli.
I figured 1/2 cup of mixed veggies wouldn’t be a big deal to me, but each their own. It was exactly what I needed as I have been fighting off a cold and a perfect addition to a cold winter day. I have included cooking instructions for both the Crock-Pot and the Instant Pot below for your convenience.
You can find more keto chicken recipes in my recipe index for quick and easy meals.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP KETO-FRIENDLY
Chicken Pot Pie Soup by itself is not keto-friendly, no matter how good it tastes. However, a few simple changes can be made to this recipe to make it keto-friendly. First, Chicken Pot Pie has flour, so you would leave that out to reduce the carbs. Instead, you’ll use Xanthan Gum to thicken the soup without adding carbs. No runny soups here! Next, you’ll skip the potatoes altogether. You can’t taste them in the soup anyway.
- Chicken breasts are shredded with two forks to blend with the soup.
- Butter – for sauteing veggies to give them flavor
- Mixed Veggies are made up of carrots, peas, and corn like traditional Chicken Pot Pie Soup. Feel free to add whatever veggies you prefer instead. But, the veggies add minimal carbs per serving.
- Onion and minced garlic – add flavor.
- Chicken broth– This is used to deglaze the Instant Pot after the veggies have been removed and part of the soup base
- Cream Cheese– Used to make the soup creamy and thick.
- Poultry Seasoning, Rosemary, Thyme, Salt, and Pepper – Seasonings for flavor
- Heavy whipping cream adds lots of creaminess and fat to your sauce.
- Xanthan Gum is used to thicken the soup and bring it all together.
Steps to Making Chicken Pot Pie Soup:
Step 1: Turn Instant Pot to saute, then melt butter.
Step 2: Add onion and mixed veggies to the melted butter and saute until the onion is translucent.
Step 3: Remove veggies from Instant Pot and set them aside.
Step 4: Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth to Instant Pot and stir to deglaze the pot.
Step 5: Add chicken (thawed) and spices to Instant Pot. Secure lid in place.
Step 6: Push the poultry button, then set the timer to 15 minutes.
Tip: The Instant Pot will come to pressure, then count backward from 15.
Step 8: Allow a Natural Pressure Release for 6 minutes after the 15-minute cook cycle is complete, then do a quick pressure release. (I cover the valve with a kitchen towel to avoid the spray from the liquid.)
Step 9: Shred the chicken in the pot with two forks, then add veggies back into the Instant Pot.
Step 10: Add the remaining chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese.
Step 11: Turn Instant Pot to saute and bring the soup to a boil for 6 minutes.
Step 12: Turn Instant Pot to keep warm, then sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top. Stir and allow the mixture to thicken (it takes around 10 minutes).
Serving Keto Chicken Pot Pie Soup
I made a batch of Keto Biscuits to serve alongside it, which was a fabulous combination. You could make either the standard recipe or Cheddar Garlic Keto Biscuits. It doesn’t have to be served with a biscuit. This is such a delicious meal it doesn’t need anything extra.
What If I Don’t Have Chicken Broth?
You can sub vegetable broth, chicken stock, chicken bone broth, or chicken bouillon cubes to give the keto chicken pot pie the added flavor.
Other Veggies You Can Use Besides Mixed Veggies:
- green beans
More Keto Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken Soup
- Keto Chicken Fajita Soup Recipe
- Keto Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Keto Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup
- Low Carb Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup
- Yummy Keto Chicken Soup
More Keto Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup Recipe
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
- Mouthwatering Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Easy & Delicious Keto Instant Pot Recipes for Meals in Minutes
Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 lb 1½ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ½ cup mixed veggies could also substitute green beans or broccoli
- ¼ small onion diced
- ¼ tsp pink salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp rosemary
- pinch thyme
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
For the Instant Pot:
- Turn Instant Pot to saute, then melt butter.
- Add onion and the mixed veggies to the melted butter, then saute until the onion is translucent.
- Remove the veggies from Instant Pot and set them aside.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to Instant Pot and stir to deglaze the pot.
- Add chicken (thawed) and spices to Instant Pot, then secure the lid.
- Push the Poultry Button, then set the timer to 15 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will come to pressure then begin to count backward from 15.
- Allow a Natural Pressure Release for 6 minutes after the 15-minute cook cycle is complete, then do a quick pressure release. (I cover the valve with a kitchen towel to avoid the spray from the liquid.)
- Shred chicken in the pot with two forks, then add veggies back to the Instant Pot.
- Add the remaining chicken broth, heavy whipping cream, and cream cheese.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and bring soup to a boil for 6 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot to keep warm, then sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top. Stir and allow the mixture about 10 minutes to thicken.
For the Crock-Pot:
- Cook 1 to 1½ lbs chicken and spices in the Crock-Pot in 1 cup chicken broth for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- With two forks, shred the chicken and leave it in the Crock-Pot.
- Sautee onion, mixed veggies, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper in 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet on the stove for approx 5 min or until onions are translucent, then add to the chicken in the Crock-Pot.
- Add heavy whipping cream, the rest of the chicken broth, and cream cheese to Crock-Pot. Cover with lid, and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid, and turn Crock-Pot to warm. Then, sprinkle Xanthan Gum on top and allow soup to thicken for 15-20 minutes.