Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole
This Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole will become a new household favorite! It has all the components of a sandwich minus the bread, making it the perfect keto/low-carb meal! It’s delicious, easy, and simple to make! This is the perfect keto casserole!
Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole:
Sandwiches are such an easy meal! They are entirely customizable, filling, and perfect for on-the-go lunches. So, I decided to make a keto unwich recipe! The unwich contains all the ingredients you love in a sandwich minus the bread!
This recipe is easy and perfect for a quick lunch or weeknight meal; you can use whatever deli meat, cheese, and toppings you would like!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- smoked deli ham- Make sure not to get honey ham or brown sugar ham since it will add carbs. If you do not like ham, feel free to use turkey, sliced chicken, or your favorite keto deli meat.
- Swiss cheese- For this recipe, I prefer to use swiss cheese because of its flavor; however, you can use whatever type of cheese you like.
- Dill pickles- I love pickles on my sandwich and use slices or chopped pickles depending on what I have on hand.
- Italian seasoning, Italian dressing- Adds tons of extra flavor to this unwich recipe.
Steps for making Keto Hot “Unwich” & Cheese Casserole:
Step 1: Spray a 9×9 pan with pam so that the casserole does not stick, and lay down your first layer of ham. It should be about 4 total ham slices.
Step 2: Add 4 pieces of swiss cheese to the top of the ham.
Step 3: Add either dill pickle slices or chips with some Italian dressing and seasoning for extra flavor. Next, add another layer of ham and cheese.
Step 4: Pop the unwich in a 375-degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned on the top. Enjoy!
How to Make a Spicy Unwich:
You could add some hot sauce to the keto ham and swiss casserole; however, make sure that it is low carb before adding. You could also use spicy pickles instead of regular pickles, and pepper jack cheese to kick the heat up a notch.
Variations to the Unwich:
This is such an easy casserole to make your own; here are some of my favorite variations you could try!
- Try different meat such as roast beef, salami, or turkey!
- Use different cheese; not everyone likes swiss, so you could use provolone cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, or whatever you prefer!
- Create lettuce wraps by slicing a piece of the unwich and putting it in romaine lettuce hearts! This variation adds a little bit of crunch and texture to the dish. This is similar to jimmy john’s style of unwich.
- You could also try adding different keto sauces such as hot sauce, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, or even mayo.
How to Store Leftover Unwich?
To store, place the leftover pieces in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days. To reheat, simply put in the microwave for 30 seconds, then the oven or air fryer for just a few minutes to crisp up the ham and cheese.
Can You Meal Prep this Keto Unwich?
Yes, you absolutely can! To meal prep, follow all the recipe card instructions, but do not bake the keto ham and swiss casserole until you are ready. This recipe can stay good in the fridge for up to 5 days.
While this is an easy meal prep recipe, I do not recommend freezing as it will thaw with a different texture because of the dressing and moisture of the deli meat.
More Keto Sandwich Recipes:
- Easy Keto Sandwich Bowl
- French Dip Chaffle Sandwich
- Keto Sloppy Joe Skillet Recipe
- Keto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
More Keto Casseroles:
- Keto Pizza Casserole
- Keto Italian Meatball Casserole
- Healthy Keto Tune Casserole
- Keto Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Hot "Unwich" Ham and Cheese Casserole
- 8 slices smoked deli ham
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 5 slices dill pickle
- 1-2 tbsp Italian dressing
- ½ tsp italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and spray a 9x9 pan with pam.
- Lay down a layer of deli ham, aprox. 4 slices, followed by a layer of cheese.
- Add the dill pickle slices, dressing, and seasoning to the top of the cheese.
- Place another layer of ham and cheese down.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly golden.
Just saw this recipe and gave it a try on a whim. Had all the ingredients. Added a few black olives. AND put it on SO Low Carb Harvest Wheat Bread. What a treat!! Simple and delicious.
Can I just get the recipe and not all the pics and instructions?
On almost every recipe there is a link at the top that says Jump to Recipe, which will take you directly to the recipe. However, on the Hot “Unwich” Ham and Cheese Casserole, I didn’t include a recipe card, just pictures and instructions, so you can’t jump to a recipe on this one. The pictures and instructions are your recipe.
Seems like people could look on the site, or read and figure out so many things without asking such questions!
Yum! That looks fun and delicious!
This was yummy
Looks delish & easy. Will definitely make this. All of your recipes I’ve tried have been great!! Thanks for simple healthy tasty recipes!
Thanks so much for letting me know! I appreciate you taking the time to comment and for your kind words. Blessings!
I love this recipe!! Except I did alter it to what I had on hand.
If anyone would like to try a different version, here’s what I did.
I did follow the layering instructions exactly as she did. But I used salami. Since it was thinly sliced, I used 12 slices per layer. Then I added pepper Jack cheese. Instead of adding pickles I used banana pepper rings. For the seasoning I used Gusto’s Spicy Sundried Tomato seasoning (yummy stuff). I repeated the layering and added more seasoning to the top. Followed her baking instructions. I made this into a wrap using Egglife egg white wraps (1 carb) and spread Duke’s mayo on that!! Delicious wrap!!
Love your creativity! Thanks for sharing and glad you loved it!
Delicious and so easy!! I also tried out chicken, mozzarella, and pesto. Can’t wait to make again!
Glad you loved it! With a big family, EASY is what I am always looking for!