This Easy Keto Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry is a quick and easy Asian-inspired meal that your family will love! Made with healthy low-carb veggies and a delicious sugar-free stir fry sauce, I’m betting you won’t miss the takeout version of this gluten-free one-pan meal!
This recipe is inspired by Natasha’s Kitchen but made with keto-friendly ingredients.
How To Make Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry Keto Friendly
Making homemade low-carb beef and broccoli using steak is simple, and you don’t need to sacrifice flavor either! I use Braggs Aminos instead of soy sauce to add a savory, umami flavor to this dish so we all can still enjoy those rich Chinese food flavors at home! Below you’ll find a step-by-step pictorial with brief directions. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the post to the recipe card for the full list of ingredients and instructions. You’ll love how delicious this beef and broccoli recipe tastes.
What is the Best Cut of Beef for Low Carb Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry?
I prefer to use flank steak since it is thin, easy to cut, and tender when cooked properly. It also absorbs the flavor of the stir-fry sauce, which makes it taste amazing.
Step 1: Slice the flank steak thinly. Slice against the grain in pieces about 1/4″ thick. Against the grain means cutting against the grain of the meat. Ask your butcher at the grocery store to do this to save time!
Tip* Slightly freezing your steak will help you slice it thinly.
Step 2: Saute the broccoli in oil first. Next, add water to the skillet, then simmer on medium heat for 2 minutes with the lid on or until your broccoli florets reach desired tenderness. Remove the broccoli from the skillet and set it aside.
Tip: It’s okay to use frozen broccoli if fresh isn’t available. You may need to adjust cooking time in this step to reach desired tenderness.
Step 3: Add 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef to the pan and sear on both sides to get it nice and browned. It will take about 3-5 minutes per side. While you’re waiting for your steak to brown, combine ginger, garlic, sesame oil, beef broth, Braggs aminos, and brown sugar substitute in a bowl and stir to combine.
Step 4: When your beef is nicely browned, add your sauce to the skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Step 5: In a small bowl, add 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum and 1/2 tsp warm water. Stir to combine. It will thicken quickly. Scrape it into the steak and sauce mixture and whisk to combine. Simmer on low for 5 minutes as the sauce thickens.
Step 6: Stir broccoli back into the skillet and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the broccoli is heated through.
Is Beef & Broccoli Keto Friendly?
If you order a typical beef and broccoli from your favorite Chinese food take-out restaurant, no. They most likely use thickeners such as flour or corn starch, which are not keto-friendly, and sugar in the sauce. Other than that, steak and broccoli are definitely low carb and keto approved!
With that said, you can still make your sauce without either of those ingredients. Keep reading!
Keto-Friendly Stir Fry Sauce
Many keto recipes have a sauce that requires thickening. It is sometimes difficult to do if you don’t have the right ingredients. Regular flour and cornstarch are not considered keto, so you need an alternative thickener.
How To Thicken Your Sauce
To thicken this sauce, I used Xanthan Gum. Read all about xantham gum here. It is another type of food thickener made from bacteria (sounds crazy, I know, but it is used in many foods) that is completely keto-friendly. Because it thickens quickly when mixed with water, you should WHISK it into whatever sauce you make. Whisking it will prevent lumps and help it dissolve easily.
**You need very little compared to cornstarch. If you use too much, it will give your food a slimy texture.
***IF you do not have xanthan gum, you can substitute cornstarch, although it is not considered keto-friendly. I found Xanthan Gum at Walmart, and it is available to order online at Amazon. If you use cornstarch, add 1 ½ TB to the stir fry sauce. If you don’t use either, the sauce will not thicken up.
What To Serve With Your Stir Fry
Instead of the typical carb-heavy rice or noodles, you can serve your keto beef and broccoli on top of steamed or fried cauliflower rice. I prefer frozen steamed bags, but you can make it homemade. Another option is to serve it on top of a bed of zucchini noodles or “zoodles.” Both are great low-carb options that will soak up the sauce nicely.
Other Meats Options
If you don’t have flank steak available or want to substitute it with something else, you could use chicken or ground beef instead. You will want to use the same amount of flank steak listed below. Just make sure to brown your meat the same way you would your steak.
If you want to use shrimp instead, go for it! A stir-fry meal is easily customizable, so feel free to add whatever you like while keeping the ratios the same.
Other Veggies To Add To Your Stir Fry
Broccoli is a great low carb veggie; however, if you want to substitute it or use additional veggies, here are other great low carb options:
- Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans
If you like a spicy stir-fry, you can add red pepper flakes, sriracha, or chili paste to kick up the heat!
If you want to make it look super authentic, garnish with sesame seeds or green onions.
Is This Recipe Gluten-Free?
Yes. All the ingredients I used in my kitchen to make this recipe are gluten-free. However, I always recommend checking each ingredient that you use. Having a daughter with a peanut allergy, I understand the importance of checking each ingredient. If you substitute any of the ingredients it may not be gluten-free then.
How to Store Keto Beef and Broccoli
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. You may need to add a touch of water before reheating if it looks dried out from the fridge. It can be frozen for up to three months in a freezer-safe ziplock bag or container.
More Keto Beef Recipes:
Keto Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry (Quick & Easy)Keto Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe:
Easy Keto Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb flank steak thinly sliced against the grain (Ask your butcher to slice it thinly)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets (can use frozen but may need to adjust cooking time)
- 3 TB water
Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TB sesame oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger seasoning
- 1/2 cup Braggs aminos
- 3 TB Lakanto monkfruit golden (Swerve Brown can also be used.)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum to thicken
- 1/2 tsp warm water
- Serve with a 10-12 oz size steam bag of Riced Cauliflower - follow microwave directions to steam
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat with 2 TB olive or avocado oil.
- Sauté broccoli for 3 min.
- Add 3TB water and simmer with the lid on over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until broccoli reaches desired tenderness.
- Remove the broccoli from the skillet and set it aside.
- Add another 2 TB olive or avocado oil to medium-high heat.
- Add steak and sear on both sides until nicely browned. When the steak is brown on one side, it should flip easily. If you try to flip it before it has seared, it will stick to the pan. (It takes 3-5 minutes per side.)
- Meanwhile, combine the stir fry sauce ingredients in a bowl, leaving out the Xanthan Gum. Stir to combine.
- Add the sauce ingredients to the skillet and bring to a boil on medium heat. Cover turn down to low and simmer on medium for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add the 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum and 1/2 tsp warm water. (See notes)
- Stir to combine. It will thicken quickly!
- Scrape mixture into your skillet with the sauce and whisk to combine.
- Simmer on low for 5 minutes as the sauce thickens.
- Then stir the broccoli back into the skillet and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until the broccoli is heated through.
- Serve over steamed riced cauliflower. Enjoy!