BBQ Bacon Keto Onion Rings
Add bacon to anything, and it makes it better. Right? These Keto Onion Rings with Bacon are a fun appetizer or side dish that is delicious, keto-friendly, and easy to make!
Keto Onion Rings with Bacon
I have always loved onion rings, but with the keto/low carb way of life, I have avoided. As I was looking through my recipes looking for new inspiration, I saw my Bacon Wrapped Cheese Sticks and thought that I could do something similar to make keto onion rings. I mean, anything with bacon is better, right? Once the inspiration hit, I was on a mission. It didn’t take but a few minutes to cut the onions, wrap them with the slices of bacon, and pop them in the oven. The crunchy bacon, onion, and tangy sugar-free BBQ sauce together turned out better than I could have imagined.
Keto Onion Rings Ingredients:
- Onions — You need 12 slices of onions for this recipe. When I make keto onion rings, I typically need a few medium-sized onions to get enough uniform slices. It can’t hurt to pick up a few extra at the store when shopping for this recipe; onions are always useful.
- Homemade Sugar Free BBQ Sauce — I use my own sugar free BBQ sauce for this recipe. It’s the absolute best keto BBQ sauce I have tried! It adds an amazing tanginess that perfectly complements the rich flavors of bacon and onion.
- Bacon — Use your favorite bacon for this recipe, thick or thin cut. Any kind will do! Once you try onion rings with bacon, you will see how the smoky flavor is the perfect pairing.
- Garlic Powder — In my opinion, garlic powder goes well in just about any savory dish. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor in this keto onion rings recipe.
You can scroll down for the printable recipe, but I love sharing the step by step process in pictures as well for those who are more visual.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then place a roasting rack on top. Cut 12 thick-cut slices from medium-sized onions. I bought medium-sized onions and sliced them rather thick. I wanted to make sure that one piece of bacon would be enough to wrap around each one. Not that there is ever any good reason to limit bacon, but I knew I would eat more than one or two, so I wanted to keep my protein in check.
Step 2: Next, wrap bacon around the onion rings barely overlapping so that the entire onion is covered, but almost all of the bacon was exposed so that it would get nice and crunchy. Once they are completely wrapped, sprinkle a little garlic powder on top for extra flavor.
Step 3:Finally, I popped the low carb onion rings in a 400-degree oven. Right before they were done, I brushed the bacon with a little Homemade Sugar-Free BBQ sauce. Yum! They turned out extra crispy and amazingly flavorful.
Are Onion Rings Keto?
No, the traditional onion ring recipe has a lot of carbs in them from the flour used in the breading. In this recipe, we ditch the flour to make a delicious keto-friendly onion ring.
How Many Carbs are in Keto Onion Rings?
In this recipe, we wrap the slices of onion with bacon and then bake to make a delicious and crispy outside layer. The exact carb count will depend on the size of the onion slice.
What other Breading Could I Use to Make Keto Onion Rings?
If you don’t want bacon-wrapped onion rings, there are other options available that are keto-friendly. You’ll want to make sure to dip the onion slices in a beaten egg first so that the breading will stick.
- Coconut or Almond Flour — Both coconut flour and almond flour are keto-friendly and very low in net carbs. They can be used as a breading either alone or mixed together.
- Pork Panko — Crushed pork rinds make a fantastic low carb crispy breading. You can either purchase already made into pork panko or throw pork rinds in a food processor to make homemade pork panko.
After dipping the onion in a beaten egg, dip in one of the above breading options listed above, then you could either cook it in the air fryer, deep fry in avocado oil, or bake in the oven until they are golden brown.
More Keto Appetizers:
- Keto Sausage Balls
- Bacon-Wrapped Cheesesticks
- Keto Cheese Crackers
- Sausage & Cheese Dip
- 20+ Keto Appetizer Recipes
Keto Diet Success Tips
You can access all of my Keto/Low Carb Recipes in my Keto/Low Carb Recipe Index or follow me on Pinterest for fabulous Keto/Low Carb Recipe Ideas. I even post a free weekly keto meal plan for inspiration. If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources. Amazon has several great books you may want to check out here.
How to Make Keto Onion Rings:
Keto Onion Rings with Bacon
- 12 thick slices of a medium sized onion separated You may need several onions to get uniform slices.
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Homemade Low Carb Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce
- 12 pieces bacon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then place a roasting rack on top.
- Cut 12 thick-cut slices from medium-sized onions. You don't want the onion too big. You may need several medium onions to get 12 good slices. I used 3.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the onion barely overlapping so that the onion is covered but keeping as much of the bacon exposed as possible so that it will get nice and crispy. Sprinkle a little garlic powder on top.
- Place on the middle rack in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, then remove from onion and flip the onion rings over and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Move pan to the top shelf and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and flip the onion rings over and brush lightly with my Homemade Low Carb Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce or this sugar-free BBQ sauce you can buy premade.
- Cook for 5 more minutes (more or less if you want crunchy or chewy).
- Enjoy! They taste amazing dipped in Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce
Your recipes look so good, can’t wait to try them. Also very glad I found your website!!
What’s the net carbs?
I have updated the recipe with a net carb estimation. It is impossible to give exact net carbs because it will depend on the type of onion used and the exact size of rings.
I am very interested in all of your recipes! How can i find out more?
They are all here on my site. You can click keto recipes in the menu to see them all.