BBQ Bacon Keto Onion Rings
I have always loved onion rings, but with the keto/low carb way of life, I have avoided them the past year. As I was looking through my recipes looking for new inspiration, I saw my Bacon Wrapped Cheese Sticks and thought that I could do something similar to make keto onion rings. I mean, anything with bacon is better, right? Once the inspiration hit, I was on a mission. My oldest daughter and I had just been out having some much-needed girl time together when I told her we needed to make a quick run to the grocery store for onions. I could not wait to get home and get to work. It didn’t take but a few minutes to cut the onions, wrap them with bacon, and pop them in the oven. I could not have imagined just how amazing they would taste beforehand, but I’m confident that I love these BBQ Bacon Keto Onion Rings better than the original ones. The crunchy bacon, with the onion, and BBQ sauce together is just amazing!
I can say with confidence that my new recipe for Homemade Low Carb Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce is absolutely delish! I am a southern girl who loves a good BBQ sauce and this was exactly what these Keto Onion Rings needed.I took my family’s secret (or not so secret anymore) BBQ sauce recipe and made adjustments so that it is Keto/Low Carb friendly and it turned out amazing! If you have a few minutes to make a batch of it you won’t be disappointed!
I found this G. Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce and it is a good substitute if you don’t want to make homemade.
You can access all of my Keto/Low Carb Recipes in my Keto/Low Carb Recipe Index or follow me on Pinterest for fabulous Keto/Low Carb Recipe Ideas. If you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information, there are tons of fantastic resources. Amazon has several great books you may want to check out here.
I bought medium sized onions and sliced them rather thick. I wanted to make sure that one piece of bacon would be enough to wrap around each one. Not that there is ever any good reason to limit bacon, but I knew I would eat more than one or two or four so I wanted to keep my protein in check.
Then, I wrapped one slice of bacon around each onion slice barely overlapping so that the entire onion was covered, but most all of the bacon was exposed so that it would get nice and crunchy. I also sprinkled a little garlic powder on top for extra flavor. Afterward, I popped them in the oven at 400 degrees. Right before they were done, I brushed them with a little Homemade Sugar-Free BBQ sauce.
BBQ Bacon Onion Rings
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper, then place a roasting rack on top.
- Cut 12 thick cut slices from medium-sized onions. You don't want the onion too big. You may need several medium onions in order to get 12 good slices. I used 3.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the onion barely overlapping so that the onion is covered but keeping as much of the bacon exposed as possible so that it will get nice and crispy. Sprinkle a little garlic powder on top.
- Place on the middle rack in the oven and cook for 25 minutes then remove from onion and flip the onion rings over and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Move pan to the top shelf and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cook for 5 more minutes (more or less if you want crunchy or chewy).
If you think you might be dealing with a weight loss stall, check out these 10 reasons that may be causing a stall.
Here is an Amazon Keto List for many items you won’t find in your local grocery store and fun snacks.
Don’t miss this free printable of the Very Best Basic Keto/Low Carb Grocery List.
Looking for ways to save money? Check out these 10 easy tips for eating Keto on a budget.
Don’t miss these keto/low carb snacks to help you stay on track.