This Keto Sausage with Peppers & Onions Skillet recipe is SO delicious! It can be made in one skillet for the perfect healthy, busy weeknight meal! You are sure to love this easy keto 30-minute meal.
How To Make Smoked Sausage with Peppers & Onions:
This quick sausage and peppers recipe is so simple and comforting! It only requires one pan, minimal ingredients, and effort. Even if you are not very confident in your cooking skills, you will love making this foolproof meal!
Keto Sausage with Peppers and Onions Ingredients:
- Butter – Adds flavor to the garlic while it is being sauteed and keeps the ingredients from sticking to the pan.
- Smoked Sausage – Any sausage will work, I prefer to use beef, but you can also use pork or chicken.
- Green Bell Peppers, Onion, and Garlic – These vegetables work together for the perfect flavorful combination.
- Braggs Aminos – The flavor from this healthier alternative to soy sauce adds the perfect amount of flavor to this recipe!
- Seasonings – Takes this keto/low carb recipe over the top.
Step 1: In a large skillet, melt butter, then add minced garlic.
To mince the garlic, break and peel the cloves, then turn your knife sideways to crush the cloves. Next, give it a rough chop. If this seems too tricky, you can also buy a garlic press.
Step 2: Slice the smoked sausage, and brown it in a pan on medium-high heat. While the sausage is browning, slice the onions and peppers lengthwise.
Remove the sausage from the pan, and allow the grease to drain on a plate with a paper towel under it, or place the cooked sausage in a strainer.
Tip: Before slicing the sausage, place it in the freezer for a couple of minutes. This will make it easier to slice!
Step 3: Next, add green bell peppers and onions to the skillet and saute on low-medium heat until they are lightly brown and soften.
Add the sausages back into the pan with the Braggs Aminos and simmer on low for 4 minutes. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What Kind of Sausage Do You Use in this Recipe?
I used smoked sausage, but Kielbasa, Bratwurst, and Andouille are great options. Try different flavored smoked sausages such as Cajun or a spicy variety to up the flavor.
How Do I Cut a Bell Pepper?
Cut the bottom of the bell pepper off, then stand it up on the flat side. Next, slice off each lobe, and remove the seeds and the unwanted parts of the pepper.
How Do I Cut an Onion?
Chop the stem off the onion while leaving the root intact; this will help keep your onion together while you are cutting it. Place the onion flat side down, and cut right down the middle. Peel the onion then cut into slices.
What Kind of Onion is Best for this Recipe?
You can use any kind of onion you want. With that being said, I prefer to use a yellow onion because it has a mellow flavor, and when sauteed, adds a hint of sweetness to the sausage and peppers.
Can I Use Frozen Onions & Peppers?
Yes, but if you are following a keto/low carb diet, check the nutrition label to make sure there are no added sugars.
How To Store Sausage with Peppers & Onions:
You can store this recipe in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the fridge, or freeze it for up to 3 months. To thaw, place it in the fridge overnight, and rewarm in a skillet with a little bit of olive oil on low heat.
Can I Make this in a Sheet Pan?
Yes, to make it in a sheet pan, chop all the ingredients, add the Braggs Aminos over the top, and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes.
What Should I Serve This Recipe With?
Cauliflower rice is the perfect keto-friendly side dish for this smoked sausage recipe. A nice leafy garden salad would be delicious as well.
Variations to this Keto Recipe:
- Change the protein – If you don’t like pork smoked sausage, you could use chicken sausage, turkey sausage, or beef sausage.
- Bell Pepper & Onion Varieties – While I used green bell pepper and yellow onion in this recipe, any variety of bell peppers or onions can be used.
- Veggies – You can use different low-carb veggies in this keto sausage skillet for variety. Low carb options include zucchini, squash, cabbage, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, celery, etc.
- Use your Air-Fryer – Smoked sausage with peppers and onions can be made in the air-fryer at approx 385 degrees for 10-12 min tossing the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- Bake on a Sheet Pan – As mentioned above in this post, you can bake keto sausage with peppers and onions on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for approx 20 minutes.
More Delicious Keto Sausage Recipes:
- Keto Sheet Pan Sausage & Veggies
- Low Carb Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup
- Keto Smoked Sausage & Cabbage
- Easy Keto Baked Italian Sausage
- Keto Shrimp and Sausage Skillet
- Keto Broccoli & Smoked Sausage Casseroles
Keto Sausage with Peppers & Onions Skillet
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 14 ounce smoked sausage cut into slices
- ½ onion
- ½ green pepper
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp braggs aminos
- Place your skillet over a burner on medium heat, and melt the butter. While the butter is melting, mince the garlic.
- Add the minced garlic to the pan, cut the sausage into slices, and add to the pan.
- Cook until lightly browned, approximately 5-7 minutes. Slice the onions and peppers lengthwise while the sausage is browning in the skillet.
- Remove the sausage from the skillet, drain, and set aside.
- Add the green peppers and onions to the skillet.
- Saute for 5 min on low/med heat or until they start to lightly brown and soften.
- Add the sausage back to the pan with the Braggs Aminos and simmer on low for 4 minutes.