Low Carb Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup is a fantastic hearty low-carb meal! This simple sausage soup recipe needs minimal ingredients to get maximum flavor. Who says that soups have to be boring? This Keto Sausage Cheese Soup proves the opposite!
Low Carb Sausage Cheese Soup
I love the flavor of this Cheesy Keto Sausage soup because it’s creamy and filling. I prefer a hearty “chunky soup” rather than a “sipper soup,” so this cheesy low-carb meal hits the mark.
The addition of the sausage and radishes adds a fantastic texture and flavor that will have everyone filling their bowls repeatedly.
Check out our Keto Soup Recipes for even more flavorful homemade recipes.
Ingredients for Low Carb Sausage Soup:
Olive oil – You can also use coconut oil or avocado oil.
Smoked sausage – Find a flavor or type of smoked sausage you love.
Radishes chopped into cubes – Wash, clean, and dice! These are excellent potato substitutes.
Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter; it adds flavor and fat to the recipe.
Onion, Celery, Garlic Cloves – Don’t forget fresh veggies for added dimension and taste.
Chicken broth – Chicken broth or bone broth is the base of the soup.
Heavy whipping cream – This adds creaminess to the delicious soup and fat.
Cheddar cheese & Gouda Cheese – I prefer using a variety of cheeses to deepen the flavors, but you can use other cheeses.
Xanthan gum – helps to thicken up the soup and is keto-friendly.
Paprika, Parsley, Salt & Pepper Seasoning
How to Make Sausage Soup Keto Friendly
Step 1: Lightly brown the diced sausage in olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot. If you don’t want it crispy or too browned.
Step 2: Add butter, onions, celery, radishes, and garlic to the pot and sauté for approx 10 min on medium heat.
Step 3: Add 1/2 chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot if needed. Then add the rest of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn to medium/low and simmer for 10 minutes with the top on or until radishes are tender.
Step 4: Pour in heavy whipping cream and add spices.
Step 5: Add the xanthan gum to a tablespoon of water, stir, and add to the soup. Simmer for 10 min with the top on so the soup can thicken. Turn off the stove and slowly whisk in all the cheese, a handful at a time. Make sure to whisk it slowly, and don’t add it all at once, or it will curdle.
Step 7: Add the sausage back, then stir until everything is combined. If you’d like it thicker, let it sit for another 5-10 min with the top on, and it will continue to thicken.
Enjoy! Serve and garnish with extra shredded cheese and parsley.
Tips For Making This Keto Sausage Cheese Soup
- Experiment with different kinds of protein like chicken sausage, polish sausage, or kielbasa
- Cut up the sausage in whatever size pieces you like. This is a simple way to make it unique and heartier, too!
- Change up the cheese. Try different varieties and combinations since cheese is excellent for a low-carb lifestyle.
- Add in some spice if you’d like! I always love to do this to my soup. A few ideas are hot sauce, parsley, chili powder, etc.
Can you freeze this low-carb sausage soup?
I’m a big fan of eating this soup fresh, but you can prep the smoked sausage and veggies and then freeze them for later. Meal prepping is a fantastic way to save time. Having the sausage and veggies already chopped in the freezer dramatically reduces the prep time.
What to serve with Low Carb Sausage and Cheese Soup
While this soup is enough to be a meal all on its own, pair it up with some other keto-friendly foods! More is always better, and options are always delicious.
- Keto crackers – Soup and crackers were made for each other. My Keto Cheese Crackers would be an excellent addition.
- Keto Chaffle – A great addition to soup and an excellent low-carb substitute.
- Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits with Garlic– I’ve always enjoyed bread with soup. These low-carb biscuits pair nicely with this recipe.
- A nice leafy garden salad.
More Keto Soups
More Keto Sausage Recipes
- Keto Smoked Sausage with Peppers & Onions Skillet
- Smoked Sausage & Cabbage
- Keto Sausage Platter with Cheese
- Easy Keto Sheet Pan Sausage & Vegetables
- Keto Smoked Sausage and Broccoli Casserole
Many fantastic resources are available if you are just getting started following a keto diet and would like more information. Amazon has several excellent books you may want to check out here.
Low Carb Cheesy Smoked Sausage Soup
- 1 TB Olive oil
- 14 oz smoked sausage
- 8 oz Radishes chopped into cubes
- 1 TB Butter
- 1/3 Onion chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 4 1/2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 cup Heavy whipping cream
- 6 oz Cheddar cheese
- 2 oz Gouda cheese
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, lightly brown the diced sausage in olive oil. You don’t want it crispy or too browned.
- Add butter, onions, celery, radishes, and garlic to the pot and sauté for approx 10 min on medium heat.
- Add 1/2 chicken broth and deglaze the bottom of the pot if needed. Then add the rest of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down to medium/low and simmer for 10 minutes with the top or until radishes are tender.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream and add spices.
- Next, add the xanthan gum to a tablespoon of water, stir, and add to the soup. Simmer for 10 min with the top on so the soup can thicken.
- Turn off the stove and slowly whisk in all the cheese, a handful at a time. Make sure to whisk it slowly and don’t add it all at once, or it will curdle.
- Continue stirring until everything is combined. If you’d like it thicker, let it sit for another 5-10 min with the top off, and it will continue to thicken.
- Enjoy! Serve and garnish with extra shredded cheese and parsley.