This easy Keto Broccoli Casserole with Ham & Cheese is a hearty and comforting low carb dinner that the entire family will love! This casserole is made with four different kinds of cheese and packed with fat, so it’s sure to keep your belly full.
How to make Keto Broccoli Casserole with Ham & Cheese
Who doesn’t love keto casseroles? Broccoli with cheese is a classic American combination. If you love broccoli and cheese, try my Keto & Low Carb Broccoli & Cheese Soup. I love how you can make them low in carbs but still keep them filling like my Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole With Broccoli. This low carb broccoli and cheese casserole, like most casseroles, is super quick to whip up and can be made the day prior (or a few hours in advance), which is always a plus in my book since we are always so busy! I used fresh broccoli florets, which give notoriously soft casseroles, a needed crunch factor. Plus, broccoli adds lots of fiber and nutrients to any meal.
If you would like, you could substitute the broccoli for cauliflower florets instead or add BOTH if you prefer! Both provide the same crunchy texture and add fiber to your keto diet.
Ham and Broccoli Casserole Ingredients:
- Broccoli florets- I used steamed broccoli, which par cooks your broccoli a bit before baking. You can use cauliflower too if you prefer!
- Cream cheese, heavy cream, sour cream- Provides the creamy, rich consistency of your casserole while adding protein and fat
- Garlic, onion and mustard powder, paprika, pepper- Spices add a ton of flavor to your casserole!
- Parmesan, Gruyere, and cheddar cheeses- Add lots of protein, fat, and flavor! The Gruyere is a game changer!
- Chopped ham- You can use cubed, shredded, smoked, honey, or roasted ham. Or feel free to use any leftover ham you have in the fridge.
Steps for making this Keto Ham Casserole with Broccoli and Cheese
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 X 13 baking dish. Steam your broccoli florets until they are al dente or still have a bite to them!
Step 2: In a large bowl, add softened cream cheese and melted butter and whisk together until combined. Then whisk in heavy whipping cream, sour cream, and spices.
Step 3: Add spices, Gruyere cheese, Parmesan cheese, and ¾ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
Step 4: Add the broccoli and cubes of ham, making sure they are drained thoroughly. Stir everything together.
Step 5: Pour in your greased 9×13″ casserole dish and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and parsley on top.
Step 6: Bake your broccoli casserole for 25-30 minutes. Then, let sit for 10 minutes before serving to allow the sauce to thicken and cool.
“Can I Use Frozen Broccoli in my ham casserole?”
Yes! BUT, there are a few things you should keep in mind. Frozen broccoli naturally has more moisture inside, and when it comes to any casseroles, water is not our friend. So if you must use frozen broccoli, make sure you do not add it frozen to your casserole. Adding frozen broccoli will add water to it, causing the sauce to be runny. Instead, blanch your frozen broccoli by tossing it in some boiling water for a few minutes to thaw it out while slightly cooking it. Then, strain your broccoli and lay it flat on some thick paper towels or a dishcloth to absorb any excess water. Allowing all the steam to evaporate before adding it into your casserole.
Can you freeze this broccoli and ham casserole for meal prep?
Yes. The consistency may be a little different, but the taste should still be good! If you are a texture girl like me, you might not want to freeze it. Make sure to place your casserole in a freezer-safe baking dish and cover it well with an airtight lid. It is also important to place it in the freezer when it is cool or cold. Placing it hot or warm in the freezer will create freezer burn, which is not what we want on our casserole.
When reheating, defrost your casserole overnight in the fridge. Then bake in the oven for a little longer than 30 minutes since it is going into the oven cold.
Other keto ham recipes you will love:
Ham and Broccoli Casserole
- 6 cups broccoli florets steamed
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp sour cream
- ¾ tsp onion powder
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup gruyere cheese (about 8 oz.) packed
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded packed
- 2 ½ cups diced smoked ham (small cubes)
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9x13" casserole dish.
- Steam broccoli until it is al dente (still slightly crunchy).
- In a large bowl, add softened cream cheese and melted butter and blend until combined. Then whisk in heavy whipping cream and sour cream.
- Add spices, Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses, and ¾ cup of the shredded cheddar.
- Before adding the broccoli and cubes of ham, make sure they are drained thoroughly. Once they are drained, stir them in as well.
- Pour mixture into your greased 9x13" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top.
- Sprinkle parsley on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to allow to cool and thicken.